Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best 8" springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 7, 2001.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Best 8\" springs

I can't afford National Spring to make me a set, but I want to buy a set of 8" front lift springs.

My friend had a pair of Superlifts, but I was always too scared to ride in it (it's pretty much a death trap) so I don't know if they were good or not.

Other than that, it's up in the air. I want an 8" lift. I do mud and muddy trails basically. I don't care at all about articulation. I want on-road ride quality to be decent, (for an 8" lift) but I don't want saggy springs after a year or so either.

So, what have you had good luck with?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

Re: Best 8\" springs

limited choices in that realm.
    i have heard Skyjacker wins over superlift

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's what I was hoping to hear, because they're cheaper!!!

Tim

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You're never going to get a decent ride with 8" springs no matter what you get, so get either superlift or skyjacker. What size tires are you trying to clear? A sawzall is cheaper.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am not going to chop into my sheetmetal. I might get a set of cut out flares, as I like the look of them. I generally think sawzalled sheetmetal looks horrible (but if it was a trail only truck, I wouldn't have a problem with it). I'm frame up restoring this truck next June.

I am just trying to gain more clearance for my current 35s because they hit my fenders. When they wear out next year, I'm going to probably replace them with a set of 38" Swamper Radials. Although my truck won't be a pavement pounder, I'm not doing anything hardcore with it anymore. My truck will always be used to work--I wouldn't own a truck that couldn't get dirty sometimes, but I'm not risking any sheetmetal damage after what I'm doing to restore this thing. I have never hit a tree in all my off roading adventures, but I've come damn close more than a few times.

I saw a truck at the 4wd competition with an 8" lift and 36" Swampers. It looked pretty good, I liked it. So that's what I want to do with mine now. 8" and 1" body, and at least 38s.

My friends all have 38-44" tires, so I want to make my truck bigger so I at least have a chance of following them. Plus I want to kill my 4.10 gear a little bit because my 4 speed will steal overdrive from me. So taller tires are the answer.

None of my friends have cut fenders except one, whos were cut before he bought the truck. When they get replaced, he's going to lift the truck more and use cut out flares--both of us feel that looks better.

So, which do you vote for, Skyjacker or Superlift?

Tim

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Re: Best 8

For the fenders.....I didn't wanna cut mine either cause I thought it would look really bad, so I had a body shop do it. They took metal out of the middle of the fender, bent the edge back and welded it back together. Took about 1.5" off the back, and you honestly cannot tell.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00A/3A/AC/DE/04/uXdlXSizwPZiTaMAg8aiP0nhd-A4lPNq0180.jpg>http://pstr-m02.ygpweb.aol.com/data/00A/3A/AC/DE/04/uXdlXSizwPZiTaMAg8aiP0nhd-A4lPNq0180.jpg</a>

I used to have to have a Skyjacker lift and I liked it...it was only 4" though.

Brian

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I know a guy with 35" BFGs and 6" of lift and it doesnt hit. Cut-out flares make the tires look smaller but they will give you more clearance since you cutting sheetmetal to put them on, just be careful they're fragile. The only way to run anything bigger than 33s without sheetmetal adjustment is to lift it so high the fenders are nowhere near the tires (i.e. too high) or run springs so stiff the suspension barely moves. The reason tires hit is not because of height, but because the diameter of the tire is larger than the wheelwell.

I run an SM465 (great trans for mud) with 4.10s and 36s, and I would like to have 4.56s or 4.88s. In a car, 2400 RPM (what I'm at going 65) is a bit high, but for a 5000 lb+ brick wall rolling on heavy tires with lots of rolling resistance, its a little low. Its not worth all the money to re-gear both my axles to 4.56, but if I come across a good deal on a military 60 (dont laugh. my dad got a complete matching 1 ton drivetrain for his truck for $400 so cheap 60s are out there, you just have to find someone who doesnt know what they have) I'll put 4.56s in my 14 bolt. What is your RPM at 65 with the 35s and the OD?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

About 2000, and my little hot rod 305 does just nicely. My 35s aren't really 35" tall most likely.

Tim

9. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Skyjacker.

Check out Rob Szchepanik's K5 w/8" Skyjackers and 44" Gumbo Mudders(Four Wheeler TTC entrant, 2000). He ramps like 800 or so.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Was that the red one?

Like I said, I don't really care about articulation, but 800 doesn't sound bad at all.

Tim

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I think either spring will be good. Personally I like the Skyjacker softrides. Regular skyjacker springs run a bit stiff for a driver IMO. You also could check into BDS springs... I'm pretty sure they make a 8" spring and I love the 6" BDS lift I have now... rides great compared to stock and nottoo flexy... not to stiff.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

12. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I have 8" Skyjacker Softride springs with the 1" ORD add-a-leafs, so it totals out at 9" and it's all suspension! woohoo! I'm running 16/38.5-15's on 15x14 Barts without rub. Like everyone else has said, you might as well not be expecting a good ride. You can feel every bump and crack in the street. It sure does look hella cool though! I got a couple pics if you want to see them. Also, it articulates pretty good. I'm into the mud thing too, but I had the urge to climb up on my front porch one day! hahahaha

Pedal mashed and KICK'N ASS!
    WFO! Wide [censored]'n OPEN!

13. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Quote"was that the red one?"

Yup. The red one. Badass!

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yes BDS makes an 8" spring. I have them. Not installed yet[​IMG], but I have them. I talked to SEVERAL shops before making the decision and between Superlift and Skyjacker most like Skyjacker. Those who carried Superlift, Skyjacker, AND BDS said BDS hands down. They say out of all of the companies that make an 8" spring (other than custom, National, etc.) BDS is the best ride, quality, etc. and they are priced good too, and you cant top the "No B.S. Warranty"!!

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll try Big Dick's then!! Even if I don't buy his springs, I've GOT to have his windshield sticker (some kid had one on a Heep a couple years ago, I always thought it was cool).

I am still undecided on 6" or 8". I might end up going 6" plus a 1 or 2" body and cut out flares. I want to have enough clearance for a 38x15 tire, but I'm hoping to get a hold of a set of 37x12.50R16 SSRs.

Tim