Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best all around tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wild-will, Sep 12, 2003.

1. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

My opinnion is mud king's there cheap and quite and they can dig and grip. but i also like superswampers

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Best all around tire I've owned by far was the BFG Mud Terrain in 35x12.50. Quiet enough for a DD and pretty good performance in the mud. Even worked good in snow.

3. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Yeah ive had that tire before and i loved it on the road but it didnt do too well in mud. It just didnt dig good enough for me

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No tire that rocks in the mud is going to be any good on the street. It doesn't really get any better in a quiet street type radial than that. If you want ultimate performance in the mud, get swampers or boggers and get a set of A/Ts if you still want to cruise the mall with your truck.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1 vote for MTRs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

6. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Gotta disagree with that. My SSR's are excellent in mud and are a good street tire. I won't argue that they are a little soft, but all around they have been very good.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Gotta disagree with that. My SSR's are excellent in mud and are a good street tire. I won't argue that they are a little soft, but all around they have been very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you, but the SSR does not have the performance off-road that a Bogger or TSL would have because the tread blocks are closer together. My point is that a comprimise has to be made somewhere.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the SSR beat the bias TSL in fourwheels ultimate mud tire test. mud isnt the only terrain out there, but it is offroad...

j

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    the SSR beat the bias TSL in fourwheels ultimate mud tire test. mud isnt the only terrain out there, but it is offroad...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. That's pretty cool that a radial out-did the TSL. I'm sure the TSL radial is as good in mud as its bias ply brother, but remember we're talking super-agressive radial tires here.

Are the SSRs quiet? I know my BFG M/Ts sure were, but the SSR is definitely more aggressive.

10. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

With a Rhino lined interior, headers, a Flowmaster, and duals that dump in front of the rear axle I wouldn't have a clue as to whether the SSR's are quiet or not. Seriously, with carpet and padding in, you can carry on a normal conversation without screaming. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

BFG MT's quiet? Maybe the new tread design. The old tread design (what I have ) is pretty darn noisy!

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BFG MT's quiet? Maybe the new tread design. The old tread design (what I have ) is pretty darn noisy!

[/ QUOTE ]

What size rim ya got? On my 8" rims, aired up to 35psi, they were not that loud, in fact just enough to make me happy. It depends on how much of the tread is riding on the pavement also.

13. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Price wise though you can get some 35" mud kings for like $126 a piece thats pretty good

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

im running 35x12.5x15 on 10" wide rims. You can acutally hear the lugs!

15. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I like the ProComp MT I've got the 315-75-16. great in the mud and good DD.

16. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

my vote goes for either BFG AT's or Interco Swampter TLS's

17. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

I think the best all around tire depends on what kind of offroading you do. where i go, there is no mud, lots of dirt trails and boulders, plus snow/ice in the winter.Im a 90/10 wheeler, so im biased toward street perfomance. So for me, the best all around tire is the BFG A/T. I know they suck in mud, but they grip pretty good aired down alittle on dirt and rock, give me great traction in snow and ice, and cannot be heard on pavement. top that off with 50,000 mile tread life they cant be beat.

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I'd have to say BF/G MT. they are in every size, can be bought about anywhere, and work at least decent everywhere.

19. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I vote for the A/T...the only place they lack is in the mud... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm a goodyear fan. Looked threw all of their tires finally decided on the Wrangler AT/S. Ordered a set of 32" tires 3 years ago, and with 50K plus miles they still have some treads on them. I'm done mud /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, snow /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, rocks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, street and highway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, and I raved about them enough my buddy put a set of 33's on his dodge. When we went to the Badlands he never aired down and he went about everywhere he could with the stock ext cab /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    At first they seem to wonder a bit and not real great for 80+MPH runs until they wear down about 20% (seem to grab so much air it starts to lift the front end at high speeds). I drove 65 miles each way to school for 2 years (weekend trips) and 9-10 months of 60 miles each way for work. I believe I bought the tires Dec 23rd, 1999 @ about 126K miles /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif, currently pushing 178K miles and the tires have about a 1/4" tread on the sides and a little thinner in the middles (narrow rims). Next set of tires.... 35x12.5x15 Wrangler AT/S!