Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best amp for two Fosgate HE2 subs?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 89GMCSuburban, Jul 7, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have two 12" Fosgate HE2 subs (400 RMS) coming in soon, but what amp would ya'll recommend for running these bad boys? What wattage, too?

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would suggest about a 450-600 watt amp. 2 channel or monoblock. I carry the entire line of Rockford if you want one of those with a CK5 discount or I would really suggest something in the Crossfire line. What ohm are the subs. That is one of the most important factors in matching an amp /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. 89GMCSuburban

My bad, they're 4 ohm...DVC with each coil handling 200 watts RMS at 4 ohms. I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire the amps and speakers. Since they're both DVC, I can only think of one way to do it.... two 2-channel amps with about 175 RMS each channel... if this sounds stupid, please stop me. I'd DEFINITELY get a capacitor and the beefy alternator.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I would use a mono bock or bridgeable 2 channel amp.

You have two pairs of connections on each speaker 2 positive and 2 negative. Take a wire and go from on negative to the other positive the run the 2 unused positive and negative out to the amp. Same thing with the other speaker. You'll now have 2 positive and 2 negative at the amp. Put both positive on one bridged terminal and both negatives on the other bridged terminal. This will give you a 4 ohm mono load. I can draw a picture much better the writing about. If you need it let me know. This is running the coils in series; you could run them in parallel which would give you 2 ohm per-sub and 1 ohm at the amp or run them in series at the amp to get another 4 ohm. But the first way is the easiest way to do it /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

other factors also are important. What are you building this for what type of box. Are you installing this or is someone else? Are you going to use a Capacitor (recomended unless you like power surges). Are you going to running an amp on your mids and tweets? Buy the Best that you can afford, just remember that it will ony sound as good as the worst equipment that you are used. What other equipment are you using? and is there anything else that your replaceing?

6. 89GMCSuburban

Sealed enclosure...I'm installing it...2 farad is going to be ordered, I can even buy a 10 farad...No amp for mids or tweets, just get killer speakers in stock sizes or maybe put 6.5" components in the doors...other equipment is a Pioneer 4400 deck, 50X4 Mosfet...I'm currently running a Legacy LA430 500 Watt amp with no capacitor with only one of the subs, and it occasionally goes to protection when runnning it. It seems to do it after extended periods of double bass kicks in the music.

7. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Might want to turn the gain down some on the amp to keep it from going into protect.

8. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

this one has dual voice coils, so you would need a 4 channel amp for each speaker to get the corrrect omhs
    i got a single 15in he2 in mine with a 4 channel memphis amp(SWEET!!) you have to supply 4omhs to each voice coil.
    or
    you could go with 4- 2channel amps and brigde it all together.

9. 89GMCSuburban

Fosgate 700s, true rated at 900 Watts is being used....definitely is a great amp.