Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best auto books, watcha got?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Twiz, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

What books do you have on anything automotive?

-How to build HorsePower vol 1; mods for any engine. Covers the basics, plus it goes into detail on cyl heads (porting, design, etc) cams, induction sys.,ign sys., exhaust sys. I say; Starts slow and gets ALOT better as you read.

-How to build H.P. vol 2; carbs and intakes. Covers all the carbs and some perf. mods to those carbs. Air flow, flowbench tests, and manifold designs.- I say; Good book if your into air flow stuff, makes you take another look at your junk and think "Hmmm"

- Chev sm. block cams and valvetrains. Covers the basics, talks about cam specs and what they do, also covers info on engine specs and the relation to cams, cams for nitrous/blowers and turbos, rockers and valves. I say; good for what it is, brings up alot of VERY interresting theorys and puts them to the test.

(all books are by David Vizard)
    I always have one sitting next to my porcelain throne at home.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 03/31/01 09:41 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Best books, watcha got?

The first book that everyone should own is a shop manual for their vehicle. Makes life so much easier when things are out of whack.

(What the heck is "whack" anyway, and why do things stop working when they run out of it?) [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

holley carbs book
    gm perfomance manual
    2 3rd gen camaro shop manuals
    2 3rd gen camaro performane books
    unknown number of ASE &IICAR books
    approx.400 pounds of old 4wheel&off road,4wheeler,hot rod,popular hot rodding,super chevy,and chevy hiperformance.not exactly tech books but an invaluable source of info.
    theres more but i cant remember them right now its late(or maybe its early)

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer silverado 400 horse 350 w/vortec heads 38 x15.5 swampers (40 hawgs next)10 bolts(blah)w/4:88s coming soon,14 bolt.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I would definitely recommend Doug Roe's book on Rochester Carburetors to anyone that owns a Quadrajet. It teaches you how everything works, so in case of trouble it is easier to pinpoint the problem.

The only con I find in this book is that it doesn't mention the secondary flap tension screw. This is what causes the famous quadrabog. But guess where I found the answer to that....coloradok5.com[​IMG]

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

Blazer79....where exactly is that post for this adjustment....I probably know what you are talking about but the terminology is probably diffferent. Thanks

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

1. "Small Block Chevy Performance" by Dave Emanuel. One of the HPBooks series. Great info on SBC's in general, with dyno charts of specific engine combos. Good info for those of you who build your own motors.

2. "How To Tune & Modify Chevrolet Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson. It's a Motorbooks PowerTech Series. Great info for us FI fans. The theory of operation and troubleshooting info alone is worth the price. Not to mention the wiring diagrams...

3. A service manual for your truck. Like someone said above, one of the best things you can buy for yourself.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!