Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Redwookie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Hey All,

I'm in need of a new battery for my rig and am curious what everyone had to say about the best battery they've used. I'm thinking an Optima Yellow Top. Anyone know of a cheaper deep cycle that works as good? How long and what are you guys powering with your batteries? Any feedback is appreciated.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A deep cycle battery is not designed as a crank battery unless it is one of the dual purpose Optimas. I personally run nothing but interstate batteries and have had nothing but good luck with them. Whatever you do make sure you get a battery with enough CCA's and reserve amps for what your whole system will require, IE: lights, stereo, and anything else electrical.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I researched bateries for a few months before I went with a Exide Orbital.
    I read quite a few articles that stated Optimas quality was going down the crapper. Partly to lesser quality parts and a change in managment/ownership....IIRC.

I will admit though that all the sources I read from were not backed up by any solid tests.

The Exide Orbitals have a 7 Year warr. though. Kinda speaks well of the product.

4. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Hey Thx 4x4High. I'll keep that in mind. Anyone heard of a Napa Orbital Starting/Deep Cycle? Supposed to be around a 100 bucks instead of 150-180 like an optima. I've also heard you can get Optimas around 130 at Costco but they're not listed on Costco's website.

5. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Thx readymix. Good info. I assume the Napa Orbital is actually the Exide Orbital I heard about. How's it working out for you so far?

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Could be...I don't know.
    I did leave the lights on in my truck for a few days once and the Exide is still fine. It handled being drained far better than any of the DieHard Golds I have ever had.
    I did not even charge it, just jumped it and let the truck idle for 30 min.

7. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Sounds pretty darned good to me. Just curious do you run that battery alone or do you run dual batteries?

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That is the worst thing to do, this forces the alternator to try and charge a dead battery and that's not the alternators job. The alternators job is to maintain the charge that is in the battery. Trying to have the alternator "charge" the battery makes it work at full potential and can cause wires to overheat and diodes to blow. :deal: :thumb:

9. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I know....that's why I posted it.
    - The battery took it in stride
    - Adds to the humor of it

11. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

It's true, you can get the Optima's @ Costco. IIRC around $100 for a red top, don't remember how much for a yellow. BTW, I love my redtop. Drove around for two days with bearings on the alternator going out and two more with it completely dead. Drove at night the last day to my mechanics, and died right as I drove it into the driveway. Switched out the alt, charged it back up, and it's been great ever since. It's over two years old now. Which is a long time for a AZ desert battery.

12. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Awesome Thanks. Hey I'm from Phoenix myself though in Tucson for Grad school.

13. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

FWIW I was recently told by a standup parts guy I know (doesn't mean the info is unfallible) that Optima had quality troubles a while back due to outsourcing. Demand for their batteries went beyond their production abilities and quality suffered.

Apparently things are, and have been back on line for quite some time as they are producing batteries themselves, in a new facility.

I went with an Odyssey. Sounded pretty tech, I got sucked into the military rating crap. Died left unused for a winter, and the dealer told me "too bad, so sad". I wouldn't have expected it to give up the ghost so easily, but perhaps I'm wrong?

I have another from a buddy. I'll give it a shot since it was free.

14. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

You should become a member and check out our regional board. There's a great group here in AZ. They are awesome for support, personal and wheelin, finding parts, build advice, helpin with the build, pretty much everything.

15. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

i have a red top optima in my blazer

i went out wheelin early this morning shreaded the alt belt
    drove around all morning then when i got back into town a buddy called me wanting help getting his 69 camaro out of storage
    we pulled the battery out of my blazer put it in the camaro cranked it till it started drove it onto a trailer
    then put the battery back in my blazer drove home then made a run across town as it was getting dark drove around for about an hour with the lites on they were shinning brite after getting home and shutting it off it still cranks over like it has a full charge

i would say it was worth the money i paid for it

16. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

I totally agree with ya...and I will become a member...very soon. I love the site but I'm a poor student right now so it's just a matter of time and getting my hands on some cheese that isn't already being spent on food. Heck the only reason I'm getting an Optima is b/c I have a rule concerning replacing bad car parts...if I have to replace it (i.e. battery) I'm gonna do it right. Soon though...summer job!:D

17. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Understand. Boy do I understand. What are you going to school for?

18. Redwookie

Redwookie 1/2 ton status

Well I'm working on my second career of sorts as I was an analyst for an avionics co for about 6 years before I decided I'd rather be in medicine. Then I realizes I'd be about 80 by the time I finished school so now I'm working on an LPN (master's in nursing/ nurse practitioner).

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Just buy a Wal-Mart Maxx battery. With the money you save over buying an Optima you could buy 3 memberships.
    I like Wal -Mart batterys they are made by the exact same company that makes Optima. I use them in all my vehicles and boats. I have been using them for over 10 years now with no real problems. I had one get a little weak after 4 years I took it back, but it was out of free replacement warenty peroid. I payed 14.00 and was out the door with a new battery.
    Wal-mart even sells a sprial wound battery exactly the same as Optima but not many stors sell them. I have seen them at sams Club for under 100

20. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Good for you. I'm sure it'll be worth it to do something you enjoy. The pay for general nursing is pretty darn good these days, too, so I imagine it's that much better for an LPN. :D I tried to have a rule where everything I replaced I did better while we were still in school, but I realized that I'd be better off just keeping it running and now I'm finally getting to improve some things. (even though we still owe more in student loans than most people do on their mortgage :doah: ) Don't get discouraged it'll be worth it in the long run. And there's no shame in just getting by until your done and back to work. That being said I love my Optima for reasons I already stated, and I think it was the first thing I actually improved on the burb. Let us know what you decide to go with.