Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best big block headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by great scott, Jan 7, 2004.

1. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

which headers are best for my 454ed 78 blazer? After instaling a doubler and high angle drive line, my drive line hits the right side header. So its time for some new ones that will clear.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    which headers are best for my 454ed 78 blazer? After instaling a doubler and high angle drive line, my drive line hits the right side header. So its time for some new ones that will clear.

[/ QUOTE ]What kind do you have currently ??? Normally I promote the Doug Thorley TRI-Y's, but you may want to consitter some "Shorty" header for clearence reasons.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second the thorleys, they rock...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Tim and I agree on something, Hookers....

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hookers

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Hookers

[/ QUOTE ] For the hot rods it's nothing but Hooker. But for the truck ........

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I run Hooker Super Comps,,A bit more pricy, but perfect fit
    and I have never had to retighten a loose bolt or had an exhaust leak in 3 years. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I second the thorleys, they rock...

[/ QUOTE ]

I third the Thorleys.

I would choose the Thorleys for better fitment and more torque as tri-y's are intended for torque. They also take up less room since they have fewer number of pipes under there. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

What kind of wheeling do you do?
    Yes for torque Thorly is the ticket.
    Only one problem with the Thorly, the hang awful low. Every set I have had an opertunity to see has hung below the frame rails. So if you like rocks bettter put a sign on them that says Bite Me, cuz Mr. Rock will.
    I run Hedmens for this reason. I am talkin First Gen here but I think it's all the same or close enough???
    Hedmen Elite is the flavor of Hedmen to get, they have super thick flanges and heavy gage pipe. Aluminum color coating doesn't change color eather.
    Good Luck

11. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I couldn't afford Hookers or Thorleys at the time, so I bought Hedman's. They fit pretty well, I had to dimple one tube slightly to clear my hydraulic slave cylinder dust sheild. Both header collectors are about a half inch away from the lower spring shackle bolts, that everyone else seems to have a contact problem with. I think I paid $120 for them, and I'm getting my money's worth!

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Me either, so I have dynomax coated headers. Best $200 set of coated headers I've ever seen. Still not rusty, although they don't exactly look good anymore.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

THe Hedmen Elite is about 270 from Summit, not too bad. I just like the way they tuck up nice and tight above the frame rails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    THe Hedmen Elite is about 270 from Summit, not too bad. I just like the way they tuck up nice and tight above the frame rails. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm probably going to spluge and buy expensive headers next time. I've been happy with my Dynomax ones though.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hooker Supercomps Best headers I've ever owned/seen the set on my yellow truck has been on for 2 years with out any leaks or changing the gaskets plug acces is excellent as well as plug wire routing they also allow plenty of room to access the starter and oil filter I have another set of these header on my 86 K20 with a TBI 454 that I just welded the O2 sensor bung into also no problems I run aluma-soft header gaskets at the flange and collector and plain old header bolts with red loctite (it's what I had ) also there is no driveline interferance what so ever mine are the none coated version and they were $178.00 FROM SUMMIT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I found a pic of the heders I have on my 350
    [​IMG]
    I am putting a 454 in, in the next few months so we shal see how they fit compared to the 350....

17. Longhorn4x4

Longhorn4x4 Registered Member

I've always used 1st Gen Camaro headers on my trucks, they tuck up against the floorboards and don't create ground or drivetrain clearance issues. I did mangle one tube when I wrecked my small block K20, but I was about 15' off the ground at one point, and bent the frame. It killed one tube when the front diff yoke got about as high as the frame rail. On my big block truck I was running Hedman 68190 headers. I haven't bought a new set yet, since it isn't finished.

18. great scott

sorry i disapeared for a couple days. any way i am running hookers now and i did have to dimple them to clear the hydro slave and on both sides they hit the ord shakles. that was all ok. but after insalling a gen II doubler and atacking upper helldorad the drive line wiped out the colector. now its time to register the blazer(white trash) and it wont pass the safty inspection with out the exhaust intact. maybee the headman elite or some first gen camaro's will clear /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

19. great scott

i just tried a set of flow tech shortys and the hit the frame. dose any one have specs on length, height, exc

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have Thorley Tri-Y's on my 454. They fit and look great. I did have to remove one of the factory bumpstops on the passenger side and had to modify the knock sensor connector (I have TBI on the 454) but other than that it was a perfect fit...

Chris