Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best cap and rotor for '84 C20 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Feb 13, 2007.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

My buddy has an '84 c20 w/ a 454 and we want to tune it up. He's worried about having problems with an aftermarket cap and rotor and is thinking he should stay with AC Delco parts. I think he should save some money and get blue streak stuff.

Any suggestions on plugs and wires? It's just a stock motor but it hasn't been tuned up in a while

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Can't go wrong with Delco, but I sold Blue Streak for about 17yrs and I have run both in my fleet and I found the brass contacts of the Blue Streak lasted longer/looked better over time than the aluminum contacts of the Delco. But, about 10 years ago the regular Standard Motor Products red-box stuff started coming with brass contacts, so unless you're hooked on the blue plastic, go with the red boxes.
    Definitely Delco plugs. As far as wires go I have had great luck with Borg Warner Kool-Wires. I have a few sets in service with about 15 years on them and still check out good. That being said, Delco makes a good set of wires as well, and I believe they started offering a lifetime warranty on them about 5-7 years ago.