Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best carb??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy wrangler, Nov 6, 2006.

?

best carb

1. holly truck avenger

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. edlebrock

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. other

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  4. dont need one! cause im nekkid!

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

okay so what is the best carb?? how many of you just "set it and forget it":D??? mine is starting to be a PITA!:mad:

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How could Quadrajet not be the first on the list....

Hands down, oldschool Quadrabog imo, tweaked per application...

3. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

The best would be fuel injection or propane and quit messing with carbs.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

trouble free??..

No carb is perfect--but its hard to beat the Edelbrock Performer or Carter AFB for street use,they dont need much "fiddling",pretty much a put it on and drive it deal..a Q-Jet is better off road though,they dont flood out easily on hills and bumps like the Edelbrock and its clones will..but the Q-Jet needs to be "set up" properly,and can be fussy sometimes, until you find the right jetting and metering rod settings,etc..:crazy:

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

had a quadrbog, not I have a truck avenger. only had to adjust the electric choke and idle screw. Stalls if I stand it on its nose. has to be almost a pure vertical nose down situation. EFI is nice but $$$$$$$.

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Q-jet. Better off road than edlebrock's. Once set up, very reliable and runs very well at odd angles. Only hard part is the initial set up if the qjet you got was set up for a different engine. Then you got to deal with changing around confusion of meetering rods, hanger and jets.

If the q-jet is original to the truck or from another truck with a similar engine (size), it shouldn't need anything more than a good rebuild with quality parts and taking your time on the rebiuld for setup. That's what I did with mine and it starts easy, always steps up the idle when cold and runs clean.

7. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i'm an efi guy, when it comes to convenience and mpg on my dd. but, while my friend's jeep won't start, due to a bad computer, or shorts out while we're driving through a river, my gas-guzzling low-tech carb just keeps on going. and the q-jet is really impressive at steep angles. only gave me an issue one time. we all stopped on a very steep nose-down, to help someone with repairs. then, i had trouble starting the beast back up. but, once it did, no problem, for the rest of the day. quadrajet should be up there, because it gets my write-in vote (although i haven't tried a truck avenger, and would like to).

8. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i say qjet too, i had a 30 year old qjet and it ran like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. my other holley 650 right now is kick ass too. but its too shiny.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i love my qjet, but im thinking about going with the 770cfm truck avenger carb with the 454 if i go carb.

10. gmcburb1965

gmcburb1965 clever user title

the only way to go is qj. Get a book on how to tune/modify it and don't look back. If you have lots of money then go efi. But, the only way to do this right is to program the chip for your application. (hence the money part)

11. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

I put a Performer on and it runs great on the street. First time at the rock pile it flooded on me, it sucked. Now I'm in the process of putting a rebuilt quadrajet back on until I can afford EFI one day.

12. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

were do you get one of thoose books from...i have a 350 crate motor that i bought from a guy with about 15000 miles on it...i wanna put a lil larger cam in it and new intake (like a performer) and runa q jet will it be alright..do i need to take it to some one and get them to trick it out or is it even worth fooling around with...

13. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

mine came with a Qjet, started spitting fuel everwhere(literally), got a rebuilt one from oreilleys, and runs like piss. Choke doesnt opperate(closes itself on city titties!) and just doesnt work right.

How can i get a good Qjet that will actually work and be as good as everyone says they are?

14. gmcburb1965

The carb you start with is all the differance. Get one from a large cube engine for the most cfms. As far as books, try the factory service manual. Helm inc has them for Chevy's:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_select_oem.asp?Style=&mscsid=63JBU9H80ALF8MQP85UFTKD1KMQC994C

For carb mods, most of the books are all the same in that they deal with the same kinds of mods. The one I have is HP books, Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe. Do a search on amazon or go to the local barnes and nobel.

15. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

so i shouldnt run with the one off a 350...i have one off a 400 but i have a ton of them and is there any way to tell the diffrence..rember im just gonna run a small cam and intake...

16. gmcburb1965

ouch, sorry about that. Even out of the box rebuilt they need tuning to your engine. It's best if you've got a friend local who can walk you through it but you can do it on your own.

Think of the millions GM spent on the r&d for these things to work under multiple conditions. The aftermarket, holley, edelbrock etc, can't come close. Then, if you make a few mods, they can work their magic for our specific purposes too.

17. gmcburb1965

cfms needed are dictated by how much your engine breaths which is related to rpms. For our purposes here we generally deal with low rpm rigs, except when we're driving them to the trail. Practice a rebuild on what you've got, kits are around $15-$25, and mods are free. It rarley turns out right the first time so keep at it

18. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

edelbrock q-jet

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any Holley carb is the best in my book! ;)

20. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i always

just keep taking them back until i get 1 that runs right, i once swapped out 7 carbs with autozone, the 7th finely ran good. we would bolt them up adjust it according to the q-jet bible book and go for a 20-30 min ride if she didn't act rite , we would pull it and go tell them it was crap and swap it out2-3 a day until we got a good 1!!