Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Carb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerGuy, Jun 25, 2000.

1. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What, in yall's opinion, would be the best overall carb? I was thinking of going with Holley. I won't be going rockcrawling, so extreme angles aren't a factor. I want power on the street and in the mud bogs. Thanks for yall's advice.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

2. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

That depends on your engines displacement. A stock 350 seldom needs more than 600 cfm. Here´s the trick:

Displacement times rpm divided with 3456

So, if you´re planning to rev your 350 up to 5500rpm you need a 557 cfm carb = 600 cfm. This is only true if your engine is giving you 100% "efficiency", which seldom happens, more like 80-85% or so, which equals about 460 cfm. Hmmm...maybe that´s not what your wondering?[​IMG]. Anyway, I like Edelbrock products and I´m slapping on a vacuum 750 on my 406 someday, but since you want street performance maybe a Holley 650 double pumper is something for you?

Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

After going through 5 (yes five!) Q-jets, I bought an Edelbrock Q-jet #1902. I did some good research before I bought it. I did an online survey and read all I could about Q-jets. I think is one of the best carbs around. I learned how to tune it myself because the older ones had been ruined by idiot mechanics. I jut bought the Doug Roe's Rochester Q-jet book. The Holleys are famous for leaking. I think the Edelbrock Performer carbs are also good, but are bad on running on weird angles, even with the off-road needle & seat kit.

One of the best things about my Q-jet is the mornings starts. I can leave the Blazer off for a week, then start it on a cold morning, and it fire up in the first cranking.

According to the Doe Rouge Book, many Q-jet parts are discontinued by Rochester, but Edelbrock has made them available again.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

when i had finally had enough of my worn out carb, i went out and bought a rebuilt by holley, rochester quad. it was an exact match of my old one and cost me $239+tax. i have had zero problems with it. from what i heard, holley owns rochester now.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I bought an Edelbrock 1901 Q-jet and have had 0 problems and loven it!! It allways fires right up and with a few offroad mods it does great on the trail,fire roads,mud, riverbeds, hill climbes, dune runnin its been great~!!!!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Rebuilt my Rochester Qjet about 8 months ago. Best carb defianately.
    Boss

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The guys in my club with Holley's always seemed to have trouble with them and they have all been replaced with something else. The QJets seem to work pretty good.

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Edelbrock 600 vacuum secondaries. Tune it once and forget it. I love it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

TPI Runs grear even upside down. Plus I get 21 to 25 MPG with my 5 speed

10. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>My 2 cent's worth. Go Fuel Injection, If you don't then run a Q-Jet.</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

<font color=purple>Rick
    86 K-5</font color=purple>

http://www.BigBadBowTie.ColoradoK5.com

11. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

The Q-jet is a very dependable carb, but I prefer the Edelbrock 600 cfm. I've been running one on my '79 K10 for 5 years now and plan to install one on my K5, unless between now and then I can come up with the cash for an aftermarket EFI!

Mike

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I sure like my 600 Edelbrock Performer. I have never had any trouble with it on any angles, in fact I just got back from climbing all over some hills back in the old gravel pit! Not even a sputter. I like them due to the fact that they are so easy to work on. They are a cinch to tune, and I have found that removing them twice a year for a good disassembly and cleaning (about 2 hrs total from removal to running) keeps them working fine.
    10 years now and still good to go!

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>