Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best CCW 45?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I started a thread on pirate... thought I'd do the same here. I'm looking for a good CCW so I can start packing again.

criteria:

1) .45acp

2) single stack mag (when ur a skinny bastage, thin = good)

3) Colt Combat Commander-sized. No huge long bbl target guns, or 3" bbl ultra compact wrist-breakers.

4) has to be VERY reliable right out of the box with 230gr hollowpoints.

so far, I've got some good recommendations, like:

Kimber Ultra Carry II
    Ruger P345
    Springfield Champion
    Glock 27

I dunno... Springfield has a new 4" BBL XD that has 13+1 rounds and they claim its not bigger than their 9mm/40 XDs..

anyway, all opinions appreciated! Lemme know what ya got and why ya like it. :)

j

2. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I was gonna toss the Kimber Ultra Carry and the XD in there but you already thought of them.

The XD is great in a utilitarian sort of way, but the Kimber is like a little work of art. I have been looking at both of those, I think either would be a good choice. Not a big fan of Glock or Ruger (autos that is) and the Kimber is definitely better made than the Springfield Champ.

3. jekbrown

the XD is kinda cool, and I like poly autos. My big question is, how thick is it compared to a regular old single stack 45. If it isn't much wider... the grip must be loooonger which isn't good for CCW either.

j

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I had them both out of the case and held them, the XD was a little thicker, about the same length, but still very comfortable in the hand. I don't think it was thick enough to present a problem w/ CCW. It also comes with a pretty cool goodies pkg. and there are some nice accessories avail. too.

Overall, if money were not an issue I would go with the Kimber, I don't think any gun ever felt so "right" in my hand, but the XD just seems like not only a workhorse of a gun, but a bargain to boot. My local guy here quoted me $420-$470 on it depending on options (tritium etc.)

I have never and will never buy a gun without at least holding it. You should go down and get them out side by side.

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'd say the Ruger, but the DAO isn't MCOT

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

gotta love the xd
    my .40 rocks

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Having watched many folks at the range have feed problems with their 1911 style.45's, I will stick to the Glock in .40 or .45. I took a Sig Sauer Revolution 1911 out to the desert this last week to play with it. The quality looked pretty good but the damn thing wouldn't feed nearly anything but ball ammo. The hollow points fed but it didn't seem too smooth. I had some cheap wad cutter type rounds that were the shaped lead style and the gun wouldn't feed them at all. The rounds would jam and shove the bullet back into the case about an eighth of an inch. I gave up on those. I really liked shooting the gun and will probably buy a 1911 style just to have for fun but after watching so many guys have problems with it as a carry weapon, I'll stay with my Glocks that have never jammed on me.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

HK USP Compact.

9. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've been considering the Para LDA 1911....
    Just another option you could consider.

As far as Kimbers go, I LOVE my fullsize.
    I haven't shot any of the smaller ones, so I can't say much about those.
    As far as feeding, My Kimber has eaten everything I have ever fed it (FMJ, SJHP, Wadcutter, etc)..... except when I put a cheap-a** magazine in it. Then the problems commence.

10. jekbrown

rest assured that I'll hold (and most likely shoot) anything I plan on buying... before buying. I have a local range with a healthy selection of rentable guns. Even if they don't have the exact same model... they probably have one similar (same brand, same size, different caliber for example). Only gun I've ever bought before shooting was my H&K USPf 9... and not shooting one before hand just saved me rental fees in that case... sweet auto! :)

Them Kimbers are serious bank. I dunno. The XD is pretty tempting. Its ready to roll right out of the box... people seem to like them... I've always liked polymer guns and the price is good. Match made in heaven right? lol! I dunno... still concerned about the grips thickness and/or the grip length. Either one can **** up concealment. I'll keep lookin and reading reviews I guess...

j

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

12. jekbrown

never even heard of 'em... yours feed 230gr HP flawlessly?

j

13. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup no problem so far. I had one misfire in the last 250 rounds I put thru it. But that was due to cheap ammo and a drity gun.
    I have an Armscor 1911A1. I also have an old army Colt 1911A1. The Armscor is just as dependable IMHO.
    But
    They are made in the philipines. and have heard some people have problems with them. Mostly in the reciver. Its fairly Cheap to replace with an aftermarket one. Also lots of aftermarket parts made for them to make them a very bad ass weapon. IMHO the are a good weapon for a reasonable price. Google a search on them.

14. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

I carry the Springfield Ultra-Compact off duty, it's identical to the Mil-Spec. version only with a 3.5in barrel. The recoil is very managable with 230gr. ammo and almost non-existant with 185gr hollow points. It had some feed problems when I got it but after polishing the feed ramp they all went away (thats with 230gr fmj ammo)
    My only complaint is the weight. But its nice to have the assurance that you could pistol whip some one with it and acomplish something.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I like the Champion here:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-ch.shtml the lightweight one would be a better carry gun.

I love the 1911's, but in reality, they aren't much of a CCW weapon, nor are most, if any, full size .45's. Duty weapons, sure. They are way too heavy of a gun, (most steel ones loaded are upwards of 3lbs) and too large in grip/barrel length. Shorten the barrel and lighten them up, and they become more practical for CCW.

The one thing the 1911 has over any other .45 I've seen so far is *width*. They are narrower, which IMO is a huge advantage for CCW.

I have absolutely no problem with my SA 1911 (I think it was just called a "Compact" when I bought it, full size grip, shorter barrel) in regards to ammo. It has fed everything I've tried in it.

16. jekbrown

i wear a relatively heavy gun belt all day at work and don't even notice its there anymore... so I'm not nearly as concerned about weight of my CCW as I am concealability. :thumb:

My dad has a Colt Combat Commander. Its a very concealable gun (compared to my H&K USPf 9!). Only problem with his is that its not the most reliable gun with the big HPs. As a total 1911 whore, my dad will tolerate that. I have no design or manufacturer allegiance, I just want a gun that goes bang every single time and has the design features I want. :thumb: My USP does that... its just too big to CCW. I'd end this thread right now and go buy an XD if they made a single stack compact version. They are obsessed with hi capacity it seems and the result is probably a thicker gun than I want. I dunno, have to hold one to know fo sure.

j

17. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

One of the first things you need to do is decide exactly why you are going to pack The mindset of a cop packing off duty is different than a private citizen packing for self-protection, or a body guard hired to protect someone, or a person carrying large valuables like diamonds, etc. An off duty cop knows that if he encounters someone with a weapon, then he is probably going to have to engage that person until the situation is resolved. The cop has a duty to do this. Let's say they are in a bank and the guy in front of them whips out a gun and starts waiving it. The cop is going to take them down immediately to preserve their life and the lives of others. This is what they signed on for. A private citizen on the other hand has no mandate to do it other than self protection. The private citizen can even opt not to engage the suspect and simply lay down and wait until it is over. If the private citizen opts not to shoot, no liability and no skin off their back. If a cop chooses not to engage, and the suspect shoots somebody, let the lawsuits begin.

Having said that, most shootings take place within 3 to 5 feet and only go 2 to 3 rounds before it is over. These are the shootings resulting from somebody being attacked by somebody else with a weapon at fairly close range. So, in these scenarios a person doesn't necessarily need a high capacity weapon. In the case of an off duty cop, they may get into a shooting that could be at longer distances, and go for a while. An example is the bank robbery in SoCal where the perps had body armor, fully auto assault rifles, and ended up in a running gun battle with out gunned cops. I saw an interview with all the cops in that shootout and several of them used all their ammo up that they had and were forced to retreat. The story of some of the cops raiding a local gun store was true. A private citizen might get off a few rounds in something like that, then flee. The cop is going to have to engage the suspect until the event comes to a close for everybody. I personally carry a high capacity .40 Glock. I don't worry about concealment because no matter how big or small the gun, you can either conceal it, or you can't. If it really bothers somebody to have a gun on them, they shouldn't carry it anyway. I like the simplicity of the Glock and the .40 is an excellent blend of velocity and size.

18. jekbrown

...which is the only mandate I need. Anyone who is willing to do armed robbery is of such poor judgement that I'd be an idiot to assume he won't just shoot me for fun once I am laying down and unable to defend myself. The gun is coming out. Whether or not it goes off is up to the bad guy.

lol, if thats how it works I guess I'll start carrying my CAR15. :grin: I used to like Glocks until I shot a USP... and I used to like 40s until my Glock 22 ka-Boomed.

10mm is an excellent blend of speed and size... 40 is a female FBI agent wrist-strength compromise. ;)

I wouldn't mind having a 10mm if I could find a nice single stack one. I carry a gun all day, but that doesn't mean I want a hella heavy one to carry around all night too. You're absolutely right about the gun fight stats... no real reason for me to carry 17+1 for a street shootout. After 5 rounds, someone (possibly me!) is either incapacitated or able to run to safety.

j

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the weight penalty isn't going to bug you, I don't see where anything other than a 1911 is going to do. :)

The slim profile just makes it easier to carry concealed than any of the high-capacity guns, and it's obviously a proven design. 185HP's to 230FMJ's feed through mine without problem.

As I've seen in many articles lately, if the gun isn't comfortable to wear, eventually most people simply stop carrying. Obviously the variables, such as perceived danger in a location, are going to affect carry.

A 3lb gun on me, while trying to be comfortable in summer heat (t-shirt and shorts) just isn't going to conceal for squat, unless I never sit down. :)

Lots of opinions on this subject of course, but simplistically, a smaller, lighter gun is going to make WEAR much more enjoyable. I've never shot a pistol that actually hurt, and even if it did, as long as you could practice with it, that will be the last thing on your mind if you have to use it.

I personally don't think a .45 kicks much at all, so recoil wouldn't be a factor at all. Weight, reliability, and concealability would be my criteria.

20. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is how I ended up where I am for a carry gun.
    I went through many of the same discussions and decisions.

You stated that you want a .45, so I didn't bring it up earlier......
    (wanted to stay on track)

Most crap will happen up close, personal, and fast.

When it was all said and done, I bought a Smith and Wesson 442 revolver (Double Action Only).
    5 shots of .38+P SJHP.
    No safety, no slide, no magazine, no feeding, no jams. Just pull the trigger.
    I LOVE my semi-autos, but when it really counts, I feel that a revolver is more sure to go BANG everytime.
    And its tiny and light :D

(Sorry about the hi-jack)