Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Chassis/Wheel Bearing Grease for Chev 4WD???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave1, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

Forum

In your opinion what is the best brand/type of grease to use in Chev 4WD truck wheel bearings, spindle bearings, U-joints, hubs, shafts, chassis parts, etc. where deep water is encountered frequently?? Can different types/brands of greases be added or mixed or should all parts be thoroughly cleaned and re-lubed/packed with one type?? Thanks, Dave

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been using blue boat trailer wheel bearing greese in my rig sence 94, it has never let me down or been the source of any problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i take it that the blue is marine ?

since we are on this subject now, lets discuss what types of greases cant be mixed with which, theres blue, black, gold/tan wheel bearing, etc etc

thanks

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I used the blue stuff for awhile but last time around I found some heavy duty wheel bearing grease that is supposed to be just as waterproof as the marine grease but more suitable for disc brake bearings. The hubs on disc braked wheels get real hot so you just need to make sure that the grease won't break down and seep out. I was going to use Mobil 1 grease but a D60 takes like 3/4 of a can of grease on each hub so the added cost just wasn't worth it to me. </font color>

5. Dave1

Dave1 Registered Member

I have not used the marine grade stuff because they do not specify for automotive use only for boat trailer wheel bearings. I used to use an industrial grade of grease with a brand name of "Moreys". Bought it at the NAPA store in Kissimmee, Fla. but they don't carry it anymore. It came in a red tube, was a red translucent grease, that was very sticky and heavy duty. No doubt it was very water resistant and was made for heavy duty high heat applications. It worked very well and lasted long time.

Our hunting trucks and buggys down here in Florida run in deep water and mud all year long and it is inevidible that water will get by seals, hub orings, etc. and into the bearings, hubs, etc. A better grade of heavy duty water resistant grease will help to extend the life of those bearings and parts. I see that Valvoline has three different grades of grease. Their synthetic being listed as the "Best". I haven't ever used the synthetics before so I don't have an opinion of them. I'll keep reading and see what is suggested by the readers on this forum. Thanks for the info and help, Dave

6. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

I don't know how tha avialability of Chevron products is around there but the absolute best grease I have used is Chevron Ultiplex EP. It is manufactured for use in the harshest conditions, (mining, logging,industrial, marine.) It is extremely tacky, has an extremely high heat range,and excellent waterproof capabilities. It is also EP rated which is extreme pressure, very high moly content. It is black and has an odd smell to it. Most stores will not carry it but if there is a Chevron or Texaco quick lube nearby buy it off them, just bring in some containers.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

so chevron and moreys and texaco and valvoline ?

what greases can you mix with other greases with no soap base problems ? this is what i have seen noted sometime sis not to mix greaes of different soap bases ?

R