Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best cheap starter deer rifle?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Resurrection_Joe, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Like it says, I've been recommended something mil. surplus, but all I can find locally is chambered for slightly off loads like 8mm

I'd prefer an old used rifle in 3006

Any suggestions?

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Remington 30.06

best hunting rifle for the money that i've ever used...still use it to this day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

American Rifleman magazine (NRA) wrote an article many years ago titled "Budget Buck Busters". The gun that won hands down was the Winchester Model 94 in .30-30. I've taken many whitetail deer with mine. It's great for the deep hollows of Kentucky, where the longest shot you'll have (in most cases) is gonna be 150 yds max. The .30-30 has great knock-down power at that range, so you should have no trouble taking deer. It's also good in dense brush areas or woods where you would be somewhat restricted shouldering a longer rifle. With the angle eject system, you can mount almost any scope on it too.

Mike

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Honestly, there are a lot of good guns out there. Both manufacturer and caliber. With car makes holding a slight lead, the second-most brand loyalty you'll see is in guns. There are hardcore Remington guys, Bennelli guys, etc. Personally, I'm not too particular. I hunt with a Remington, Savage, and Marlin...all good guns.
    As far as caliber. For deer hunting, you can't go wrong with a .270, .308, 30-30, or 30-06. If I were you, head to a local gun dealer and talk with one of the guys behind the counter - most are very knowledgeable and can pick the right gun for you.
    If you don't have a gun dealer near you, do your research on the internet, then...I'm not kidding...go to Wal-Mart and buy the gun. A Remington Model 700 is a Remington Model 700 anywhere you go, and you'll get a better price at Wally World.
    And, as far as cheap goes...around $300 (sans scope) will get you a good, new rifle. And, check the paper for local swap meets/shows. Lot's of guys buy guns and use them for one season and decide they need an upgrade for some reason. Used guns are not a bad thing.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Gotta agree with Muddytaz
    The 30-06 is the best all around rifle you can get.
    You can usually buy them Fairly cheap. Ammo is usually the cheapest and the easist to find on sale.
    I'd stay away form those cheap ex millitary guns. Sometimes ammo is expensive and hard to get.

7. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Click here for a nice 30-06 located in Aurora, next to Denver. Might be worth looking into.

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

It all depends on what you are trying to do-

#1. Check your local DEP/EPA about what you can use- For example, here in New York, anything below a certain zone, you are not allowed to use a rifle smaller than a certain caliber, some are "shot gun only" , and even then, its Slug only- no buckshot.

#2: see what you are going to be hunting in 5 years-
    30-06 is the defacto standard- There is absolutely nothing wrog with this rifle cartridge. I think its wonderful. However, if I could find it at the same price, I would do a .308- another good performer, you'll find alot of special loads for it. You'll also find that you wont practice much with the .308- rounds cost almost double of a 30-06.

You might also consider the WSM cartridge- The new "stubbies" of the world- They have similiar ballistics as a 30-06, but tend to be a little bit more consistant- due to more consistant gas pressure at the tip launch-

however, I didnt get one- rounds are harder to find, expensive, and well... I think unless i was doing a 1000 yd shot, All that isnt all that important. I'd get a 308 before a WSM.

Anyways, A great Winchester m70 will run you about... 400 at walmart. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Look into Savage Arms.... I'd say 3006... or my favorite the .308

10. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A great Winchester m70 will run you about... 400 at walmart.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I can vouch for the M70. Mine is forty years old, but looks and performs like it did right out of the box. I think they're a little closer to $750 though (M70 Classic Featherweight). /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mike

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the ones at walmart are slightly different than the ones you get at your favorite arms dealer.

there is a slight difference in some of the quality things, but you'd really have to look hard and long to justify spending virtually 3x that at your arms dealer- the ones at walmart acutally have the power extractor (basically just a bigger extractor mechanism, they claim 25% surface area).

For you gun buffs, the Para Ordinance now has a similiar extractor system- unfortunately only really for their competition models.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Ive got a VERY nice Ruger M77 in 30-06 that is FS... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

j

13. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Yep, this is my vote. Great rifles at good prices. .308 is cheap at the gun shows by the case...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm not looking at buying now. I found a decent price on a Savage Rifle And Scope package. Probably go with that.

The 45 shall have to do for now

Hey I finally figured out how to strip the damn thing, needed a paperclip

Thanks for the info!

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep, this is my vote. Great rifles at good prices. .308 is cheap at the gun shows by the case...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I hunt with...in fact, it's probably the same package deal (gun and scope) you were looking at Ressurection_Joe. Very good gun for the price, and the Simmons scope is nice too! Pretty decent light-gathering which is especially helpful if you hunt in thick woods or a cedar swamp like myself. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif