Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best chevy diesel for 1978 conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RootBreaker, Sep 6, 2005.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok so what was the best of the chevy diesels to look for?
    I know they all suck on the power side.. so I hear..
    however if I was to look for a donor truck fully running to convert my truck what would be the best year?

I can bypass emmissions on this and also wanna go the cooking oil way.... :haha:

seriously I have a guy that I can get cooking oil from... not do the bio diesel but the straight conversion.. you filter it... heat it up and let the water settle to the bottom... drain out the agua and sludge... and run it straight....

plus gonna look for that donor to have a crew cab for my future mod.... :wink1:

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

'01 and up. :D

3. RootBreaker

oh yeah also trying to keep reasonably cheap and can be swapped into a 1978 without having to do a brain and all.....

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

5.7 then..................... :haha:

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I do not have a diesel but my .02 is get a 6.2 and if you want more power put a turbo on.

Ira

6. RootBreaker

what years???

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry I do not know I think all of the 6.2s are the same. If I am wrong I will def be told so :D

Ira

8. RootBreaker

found me a 1985 ccuv (???) military pickup with 6.2 for less than 2k.... runs too... also found same thing but says with banks turbo... no price.. gotta look into it though....

185 miles for me one way though.... so would be interesting if I got it.... how would i get it??? ahhh I know take a weekend.. go get it.. take to a ck5.com member that is close and strip it at their house... give them the remains for free for them for the use... and rent a uhaul pull behind and put stuff in it... :haha:

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

82 and up 6.2. The 82 is a bit of an oddball (only year for the coarse thread injectors) but apparently the blocks are the strongest until you get to the '599' blocks in '93.

For a donor I'd look for a 3/4 ton or one ton so you get the 'J' code 6.2. They don't have any emissions crap on them, specifically the EGR. They make a bit more power...

Other than that there isn't much difference between the different years. A complete and running donor is the easiest. You can see which parts differ from the gas version and where/how it all hooks up. Most importantly you can just unplug the engine bay wiring harness and plug it in.

Rene