Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best clutch and flywheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sean'schevy, Sep 25, 2004.

1. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

going to do a swap in manaul and wanted to get ur guys ideas on the best clutch to get (i heard centerfore was bad for wheeling). and also what up with fly wheel size and clutch size i figure the bigger diameter the more holding power right. im going to be using a sm465 on a 454. thanks

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

12" Luk
    and hydraulic linkage

3. sean'schevy

sean'schevy 1/2 ton status

ok need soem more help went to pep boys and they carry luk clutches. but they have 2 sizes 11 7/8 and 11 3/4 also the have a regular one for $140 and the ceramic versin for 260. do i really need the ceramic i run mostly mud and going to be running rocks soon. Im just dont want to fry this thing after a month. my 454 goot soem decent power. bored 30 over rv cam edlebrock intake, headers. and deck on block was milled down slightly so i got a little higher compression.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A pioneer flywheel is fine IMO.

You want the bigger clutch.

Ceramic will last far longer.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

dont excessively slip the clutch and it wont die

I have used the clutch to win a game of 'high point' when the motor was trying to bog down at the crest
    very hard on friction material though

6. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

what makes a centerforce clutch bad for wheeling?

7. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

A memebr of our club has just done some research and here is what he had found.
    [ QUOTE ]

My clutch fell victim to the mud bog, although it didnt really show up till last weekend. New clutch is on the way, its a nice Ram 6000 series metallic disc with a 3000lb diaphram pressure plate.

Having called Ram, ZOOM, and Centerforce clutches in the past couple days I will share what I learned. Organic clutch disks are great for street use, however it is highly reccomended that they dont get wet. The friction material will be ruined. If you rinse it out, it might appear to work on the street but your clutch life is severely reduced. Kevlar clutch disks last 2 or 3 times longer than organic clutch discs and have excellent temperature resistance, but the engineer at ZOOM said that they will absorb just as much if not more water than an organic disc. They are also about twice as much $$$.

BTW, Centerforce clutches arent any better than stock type clutches below 4000 RPM. that is why they say "up to XX% stronger than stock". The most load is on the clutch at low RPM when the centrifugal assist has very minimal effect.

So I was reccomended from all 3 manufacturers to run a metallic or ceramic clutch disc. I know its gonna chatter, but it will have the greatest holding power and will last as long or longer than kevlar. The best part is, it will be unaffected by mud/water. Just have to rinse the clutch disc/pressure plate and use the clutch to dry it off before i park the truck overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That said, my Zoom organic clutch has outlasted two motors so far and is on #3 right now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. andhar

andhar 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

So I was reccomended from all 3 manufacturers to run a metallic or ceramic clutch disc. I know its gonna chatter, but it will have the greatest holding power and will last as long or longer than kevlar. The best part is, it will be unaffected by mud/water. Just have to rinse the clutch disc/pressure plate and use the clutch to dry it off before i park the truck overnight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have to rinse the disk/plate with a ceramic clutch?