Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Compressor filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcountryk5, Jun 5, 2005.

1. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

wondering what everyone uses for inline filters on their compressors whats best and where to get it i will be doing some painting soon and while i was DA'ing the k5 today and it was spitting condesation from the tank i have filters to hook into the end of the line to collect moisture on the gun end but i'm thinking it will be easier on my tools and the paint will actually look decent if i've got a good filter on the tank sooooo....whatcha suggest? just wondering if some are better than others and i know you get what you pay for so what should i be expecting to pay? :ears: :thinking: :1zhelp:

2. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

That is a good question.. I would like to know myself..

I just bought a moisture seperator/collector from sears.. It does help but it does not eliminate all the moisture.. I still get a little bit at the end of the hose... FWIW I drain the tank down after every use and blow the hose out...

3. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have about 300 gal of air storage tanks (2 tanks) buried about 6' under the ground (temp down there even in summer is 50 degrees). I also have another 200 gal storage tank above grouns that is about 7' tall. We use this for commercial sandblasting and obviously this isn't a solution for everyone. But there are some tricks there people can use. 1 thing to remember is moisture doesn't like to rise. So I run my line from 6' under the ground to 7' above the ground. This keeps the bulk of the moisture in the lower tanks. Then my line from the aboveground tank exits near the bottom then goes into my building about 6' above the ground. With this setup I can use 100CFM@100psi with no moisture issues on all but the most humid days. For painting you could sink a 20-30 gal tank in the ground (remember to put a drain hole at the bottom of the tank with a pipe going above ground with a shutoff) and that will act as a free moisture condenser sucking the bulk of the moisture out of the air.