Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best compromise tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok this is a really vauge post but give your opinion... I am buying 33's for my rig. Its my commute vehicle so swampers are kinda extreme. I do beat it a bit so all terrains are too wimpy. BFG mud terrains are my first choice so far, anyone have anyother suggestions. They need to be radial, good in snow(5 months a year) and civilized enough to cruise cross country, but agressive enough to go muddin' I'd like to see less than $150 a tire

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Mudkings are made by BFG. I have them in a 33". They are wearing even, and have done well in the mud and sand for me. I don't do much rock climbing so I can't tell you about the sidewalls holding up... I had them in the snow once when I went boarding and we had fun in the parking lot driving through places the plow built up and went over them fine! Some people dislike them, some people like me like them... but for $73 tires they kick tail! And if you are like me and can't afford something costly right now they work great! [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Big O XTs or Goodyear MT/R would be my choice.
    You can probably get close to that price with that size assuming you have 15" wheels.
    Solowookie is running the XTs
    I will be purchasing the MT/R (the NEW model).
    The tread pattern are remarkably similar...... The MT/Rs are getting good write-ups and you can see them on all types of vehicles in the mags.
    Go with a tire dealer that offers road-hazard insurance also.

Dave

Don't Be Sexist - Broads Hate That

4. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Ive run 31's and 35" Procomp Mud's and they really do good
    off and on road, also they seem to last about 2 years...

Jeep Thing,? Ya i ran over one!

5. dewey

dewey Registered Member

for mostly street ie..something that won't hum you to death. I used dick cepek coyote's 33". They worked fine for beach sand, not so good in the mud, and good in the snow..(MA)

HEY! Your ford scratched my skidplate!!

6. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I was faced with the exact same question and I ended up with Big-O XT's... My second choice would have been ProComp MT's.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I say you get Swamper SSRs. I've got BFG Mud Terrains, and they're great, but they're not swampers.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have some 35" Pro Comp MT's and they are whisper quiet.... almost too quiet for me... They sound like an AT (they are that quiet IMO) But man can they throw some mud and crude around. I haven't even got my front d-shaft in and I have been having a blast just slinging mud in 2wd w/ all this rain we have been having. I'd take a look into them.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

9. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

I've got 31" Big O Hankook's, don't know if they come larger, they rock! Another tire I'm thinking of getting in the future is a Kelly MT. It's like a AT with bigger voids. I'm thinking that might be my 33" incher when I get them.

10. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I went through something similar this past winter and went with the BFG AT/KO's. They work real good in the snow and ice, and pretty good in the mud. They wear like iron too. Just my .02

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

11. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I'm running some ProComp ATs on my K30. They are great for street/snow/light mud and dirt. HOWEVER, after six months, I've got cracks starting around the bead area. These tires have less than a 1,000 miles and have never been aired down!! I talked with 4WPW (they own ProComp tires) and they are starting to give me the run around that this is "normal" I've run BFGs and Goodyears for more than 20 years nad have never seen this happen. You may or may not get lucky with a set of ProComps. These will be my first and last set of ProComps.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running 33" Dunlop MudRovers. I can't get thease sucker to wear out so I can step up to 35"SSRs! The MudRovers have been great! I have no complaints. I put thoes on my rig when I use to drive it to work everyday and now that I only use my rig for weekend worrier type stuff I'm going SWAMPER!!! yyyeeeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaaa

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

13. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

How much did you pat for the XT's. I checked Big O for a new set last week. Price was up from 145 each to 180. They must be getting popular or something.

Kent

1989 K5