Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best cordless drill/sawzall- updated 7-26-08

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by MNorby, Apr 24, 2007.

?

Which brand

1. DeWalt

46.2%
  2. Milwaukee

21.5%
  3. Makita

10.8%
  4. Ryobi

6.5%
  5. Ridgid

5.4%
  6. Other drill to operate nekkid

16.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whats your favorite cordless drill and recip saw? What are your opinions of the 32v stuff vs the 18v? Refurbished? Thanks

Well I have a nice milwaukee corded drill and sawzall and finally got around to buying a cordless drill of my own. Got this unit today:
    http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=BHP451

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My only experience is the 18v Coleman set my wife bought me this last Christmas . I have cut pipes , and plastics with the sawzall . And the Drill is hefty enough to drill truck frame and the mortar between my bricks .

Don't know who made it before rebadging , but I like it for what I use it for .

As for my other sawzall experiences . I burnt out someones Ryobi . And I bought myself a Bosch . The Bosch works awesome .

3. burban89

burban89 1/2 ton status

4. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

I own only dewalt, there the way to go.

acording to dewalt.com and 3ed party testing the new 18V drill is more power full then the millwalkie 28 and even the dewalt 24, second only to the 36 dewalt. I use mine every day and an very happy, some good deals are on ebay.

as far as the resip saws, the main thing to remember is it is a cordless saw NOT an 11amp moter but a small 18v moter, if you think it is a cordded saw you will burn it out! they tend to use up batterys fast too. I have one and love it but for small jobs and i go slow and lightly pushing.

want a good corded saw and the millwalkie SUPERsawzall is hand down the best!

ALSO dewalt impact guns and cordless grinders KICK ASS!

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use DeWalt 18v stuff on a daily basis for work and wouldn't even consider trading it for anything else.

Milwaukee is good but there cordless sawzall sucks. That stupid hatchet design is a POS. Bosch makes good tools too.

I love my DeWalt though. I bought my 6 pc combo kit in 2005 and it is still going strong. I have beat the hell out of my cordless impact & my sawzall and they still work great. The cordless impact is by far my favorite tool. It puts a cordless drill to shame at just about everything.

IMHO the 18v is the best line. The 24v & 36v stuff is a waste. The batteries are REALLY expensive and very bulky. The 18v Dewalt line has tons of different tools and is ever expanding.

Harley

7. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Dewalt 18 volt is the way to go. Used them when I was doing construction work last summer, never had a problem with them.

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have the milwaukee 18v and use either the drill or sawzwall at least twice a week. Got it on clearance at sears for $150 (bag,drill, light, circ saw and sawzall) if you go to Lowes or Sears and look up at the top stock (all the overstock thats above everything else) look for anything that looks old and ask someone how much it is. you would be suprised---a friend just bought the newer 18v 5pc combo milwaukee for $160

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I use both corded 110v and cordless 18v Dewault stuff in my shop and service truck.

10. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I have 2 milwaukee 18v drills on my service truck that I use daily. I think they are better than the dewalt drills. The older milwaukee sawzalls are pretty good but the newer "hatchet" ones are junk. If I were buying a cordless sawzall today it would be dewalt.

11. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I've had my 14.4 Dewalt drill for 5 years and never had a lick of problems from it.

12. MisterK5

MisterK5 Registered Member

I'll be the first to pick Makita. I have used DeWalt for a few years, and picked up the Makita 18v Lithium Ion 4 pak recently. After nothing but years of good luck with Makita saws, air nailers and compressors I figured I'd try out their cordless stuff. I am NOT disappointed. Way lighter than the DeWalt gear, and the batteries last much longer (I have 2 new DeWalt batteries, so I'm comparing new to new in batteries). Ergonomically much more pleasant to use than anything I have tried. :bow: Makita tools.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

mikitas are not as powerfull, lighter thanks to the lithium ion (but dewalt is coming out with them too:D)

ut not as power full, two guys i worked with got mikita and they would take longer to drive the same screw as my dewalt. these were heavy gauge self tapping screws (1/2" steel) not a huge differace but...

14. dlm1984

dlm1984 Registered Member

I happen to like the Bosch 18V cordless stuff myself . . . I got a deal that was too good to pass up on a 5 piece set. I like the ergonomics of them pretty well, and they aren't nearly as heavy or bulky as the 24V stuff.

I was also considering the Dewalt 6 piece set - I know a lot of guys that like them for heavy use.

15. BLIDVL

BLIDVL 1/2 ton status

I bought a Ryobi 18V around Nov. 2000, figured cheap drill, would work until I could buy another Dewal to replace the one I burned up. For a "cheap" drill it's kicked butt over every drill I've tried to replace it with. I own a small remodel business here in N. Va. and use this stuff on my truck too, trust me I torture tools. I ended up buying another Ryobi because I install alot of kitchens and to make time you have to have two drills, for the money in myop you cannot go wrong.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

By far the best, Makita lithium ion. Ive cut up a truck eitht hat sawzall:crazy:

Lighter, faster charges, hold the charge loner. Expensive but best on the market, bar none

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The makita is MORE powerful than any other 18 volt on the market:wink1:

18. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Makita Litiom Ion is the way to go much lighter then the DeWalt and the sawzall is more powerfull and the battery lasts longer.

19. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

I like my dewalt. I just hate having a cordless sawzall. Everytime I need to cut alot I have 3 batts and it just eat's them. Then it is dead and I am sol.

20. bigblaza

bigblaza Registered Member

Haven't posted on here in a while but...I've been at Home depot for about 4months now and it has honestly given me a new perspective on what tools sell, which dont, which get returned all the time, and which never come back and I would be a liar if I said I wasn't surprised at what I found.

I used to think dewalt was the best stuff out there. WRONG. Im not saying its crap, just not as good as everyone thinks it is. out of RIDGID, MAKITA, DEWALT, RYOBI and MILWAUKE, BOSCH. I would have to say the number one set of tools that are returned would have to be ryobi. But then again those tools are not designed for the contractor, they are engineered for the DIY'er and weekend warriors, not the everyday ground and pound, I think they are cheap and you get what you pay for but they aren't that bad. Ive had a chance to use a few of there impact drivers and drills and recip saws, a little weak but not bad. But my biggest surprise was how much dewalt stuff comes back. Once a week at least some large item, (hammerdrill, miter saw, circ saw) and all of them because they stopped working. 1st of all dewalt doesnt' make a Lithium ion as of yet (only 36v and most stores stopped selling those cause they didn't sell very well, to big and bulky) they still use the ineffecient NiCD batteries, dont know why. Ive seen 1 maybe 2 bosch items returned and almost no Milwauke, Ridgid or makita stuff come back. In a builders magazine they tested 10 tool companies on there cordless drills in battery efficency, Power, charge time and comfort and Milwaukee beat everyone out hands down. AS the strongest longest lasting quickest charging drill out there. followed by 3. Makita 4. Bosch 5. Ridgid 6.Dewalt..I forget the rest. To be honest with you I wasn't surprised Dewalt was voted for as the best, they do an outstanding job marketing to people, bright yellow tools, you see them in almost every DIY TV show, the name gets passed on from person to person, I see why so many people ask for dewalt stuff. But here is another thing that all of you's might not know, dewalt is black and decker (vis versa) and both of those are owned by a chinese corporation with an american name, and I dont care what tools you buy whether its ridgid black and decker, dewalt, or bosch %70 of them are made in china YES THATS RIGHT MADE IN CHINA!! Im not making this up I see the cheap flimsy, pale carboard boxes, that are so reminiscent of cheap chinese merchandise, they come in when I have to stack the shelves, with "made in china" written on them. The bottom line is alot of these name brand things we think we are getting, that we believe are made in america, really aren't and to top it all off they aren't the great tools they used to be. Back in the day Black and Decker used to be the $hit...as did dewalt, now the've whored there name out to the chinese in the name of cheap labor and profits.

I wanna be straigt with you guys this isn't to tell you hard core dewalt people out there that dewalt sucks...I think they are good tools, I think there stuff is way over priced but if it does the job then it does the job. This is just the stuff I see on an everyday basis and what I've come to know as fact. Me personally I like Ridgid and makita, and milwauke, and I base that on what I have learned from talking to many many people and trying the tools out for my self, you want real tools, buy HILTI, but they will slide you a loan application the second you ask for one of there tools, cause there ain't no way in hell you are affording those things....but hey just thought I would drop a little opinion onto this matter...sorry for this being so long...