Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best crossover steering kit d60

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dan johnson, Apr 19, 2007.

1. dan johnson

dan johnson Registered Member

who sells the best complete steering kit for a d60? price wise and quality wise. thanx dan

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you are gonna do with your front end. If you think you'll ever do a front 52 or 56" spring swap then buy a kit with a double ended arm. When you move the axle forward when using these springs you need to relocate the tie rod to behind the axle. I just bought the double ended arm from NorthWest Fab. When I do the spring swap (eventually) all I will have to do is buy the driver's side arm and tie rod and bolt it on and I'm done. If you just want crossover then you can get out cheaper with a single hole passenger side arm. If you think you might like to eventually go full hi steer then get one with two holes in it.

3. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

O.r.d. -
    Nuff Said

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have SKY mfd's one, I like it so far.

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

6. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

ORD unless you want High Steer and have 52" or 56" springs...

7. simpleman83

simpleman83 1/2 ton status

Dead Thread Resurected.

I hate to bring up a dead thread... but I figured it was better than creating another one. This one's title seemed to really be what I was after... I've been doing searches for the past few days and really trying to get a good idea for the reasons behind why people suggest one brand of D60 Hi-Steer/crossover kit over another and all I've really come up with is the customer service aspect. Does anyone have any good reasons or suggestions as to why someone should go for one kit vs. another. Currently, I'm looking at either sky's or ORD's but they are $125 apart. I like those two because the kit's seem to be the most complete minus the 2wd steering box and new knuckles, but I don't think I need new knuckles... I've also looked at WFO concepts, and Northwest but I can't see a full kit for either of those. In all the posts I've read, people have a lot of good things to say about all these companys so I dont' know how to pick besides by price..... Anyone got any problems with either of these kits breaking/wearing badly/fitting poorly/ seen any advantages to one over another? Hope I don't step on any vendors toes here but just trying to figure out the best thing I should do with my 6-800 bucks. Big investment to me!

8. la-zdunck

la-zdunck 1/2 ton status

i did the ord kit, and i was very happy with it. HOWEVER

i have had a lot of problems with the psc 2wd box i got with the kit. i've already replaced it once, and i'm waiting to hear back from psc if they are going to warranty out the second box. (more problems) i hate to say it, but my psc boxes have been a complete headache. i've heard nothing but good things about psc, so i'm hoping this was just a case of bad luck, but so far, my experience with psc sucks.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I got mine from Rockstomper about 5 years ago. Real nice.

10. simpleman83

simpleman83 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm just looking for a reason why I need to spend the extra money if the Sky kit is just as good?

11. medicdave

medicdave 1/2 ton status

Why can't you run traditional crossover with 52's first I've heard of this.

12. howdiy

howdiy 1/2 ton status

Too much flex

13. medicdave

medicdave 1/2 ton status

The springs flex into the tierod I'm guessing?

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

You can run regular crossover. You CANT run standard steering. I think crossover with highsteer is the issue because the tierod will hit the springs...?

15. medicdave

medicdave 1/2 ton status

Ok I was trying to picture it, and you'd have to seriously overflex to hit the springs on the tierod in the front. More likely to drive a highsteer tierod into something flexing.

16. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Im pretty sure the highsteer tie rod in front of the axle is right where the springs go, there fore you have to run it behind. Otherwise, regular crossover is fine.

17. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The tie-rod and draglink tend to hit on driverside compression. The 52's move the axle forward so they hit. If you do not move the axle more than 1" forward the crossover highsteer works.

My k5 HAS ORD high steer the axle is in the third hole from the front on the B52's. I have DIY4X spring plates and no overload or zero rates in the front. The spring plates needed minor trimming to clear the huge tie rod.

I see if I can find a pic.

18. blazin' j

blazin' j 1/2 ton status

subscribed...as this a future mod, id like to know whats prefered as well...im lookin for hi-steer also...

19. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

So I lucked into a Sky x-over/hi-steer setup (If I'd had to buy it, I'd have gone to ORD, but then I'd have left the tierod in the stock location anyways). Pitman arm is from ORD. There's not much room to move the axle forward without encountering interference with draglink/pitman arm on driver's side compression; 1 inch is probably possible. Not sure whether I'll try or not. My truck has just 3" lift, so the low amount of lift may contribute to the interference since the low lift spring doesn't move the axle back very much upon compression.

On another note, the Sky draglink hit the factory x-member while flexing the truck on the shakedown run (again, maybe the low lift height is partly to blame), so now the ORD crossmember is in for clearance. Maybe if the bend in the draglink were somewhat further over to the driver's side, contact to the factory crossmember could have been avoided.

Regarding flexing the springs into the steering linkage: the Sky arms are tall, and there's plenty of room above the springs. On my truck, the springs would have to go to a significant negative arch to make contact. At that point, I figure I'd have a lot of other problems anyways.

To prevent excessive uptravel (just to clarify: because of tire clearance and shock travel, not because of problems with the steering linkage), and to keep some room in the fenders, we just built a spacer for the bumpstop. Field testing in southern Utah is planned in 2 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  20. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

I have the Ord stuff - love it! Michael, you are probably correct about the drag link bend location - mine just barely rubs the stock crossmember @ full drivers side stuff - looking @ your pic the sky drag link bends are a foot closer to the pass. side!
    Medicdave - I seriously doubt that it's even possible to make the springs and steering linkage hit - I will post up a front flex pic and show ya why I believe this