Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best crossover steering kit/parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Apr 12, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I went 4wheeling all of Easter weekend. Got some serious flex and twist out of my front 6" BDS springs, and my stock steering was totally inadequate to compensate. I also think I broke the head off of the leaf spring pack centering bolt on passenger side (haven't torn it down yet).

Anyway, I think I'm ready to upgrade to crossover steering, and I also want to go hydraulic assist, as I'll be replacing my 38's with 42's soon.

I'm looking for opinions on who makes the best crossover steering kits and hydro assist setups. I know that Offroad Design is well respected around here, are there others that are just as good or better?

I don't want any 'Edelcrap' stuff on my rig! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies!

2. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I went with ORD for the crossover kit & could not be any more pleased with it. I did not swap the 4wd steering box,just needed to change to a 2wd sector shaft. As for the hydroassist, I've got the agr rock ram setup. If I did not already have bought the agr stuff I would have ordered the redneck ram from West Texas Offroad. CK5 members get an discount + it is a lot cheaper than agr. I have heard the products are good so is the customer service. I will let you know how the agr holds up to 44" boggers offroading soon. Good luck

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

there is no need to buy a 'kit'
    you need 1 custom part, a steering arm
    everything else is off the shelf

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have an ORD crossover and high steer setup (arms,tierod,drag link) and a WTO hydro asist setup.

ORD quality and service is always top notch.I you have not seen their arms you need to go to the ORD site and check em out.They are very nice pieces

WTO service and quality is great also.I sent them my box to be tapped and had it and the rest of the kit back to me within 3 days of them receiving my box.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ORD quality and service is always top notch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was not impressed with my order from ORD and I would never order from them again. I have held this back for a very long time but when I see someone mentioning that their service is, "Top notch" I completely disagree. They're popular around here and have gained a lot of business from this site, yet they do not offer member discounts and in my case and many others, their service leaves something to be desired. Nobody else on this site has the balls to say it so I finally will. I don't care what results, I think it's about time that we cut through the bullshi* and tell the truth for a change.

I ordered my crossover steering from Sky Manufacturing. It includes everything except the steering box, including the studs to bolt the steering arm down which everyone else charges extra for. It cost me $320 to the door and included the pitman arm, drag link, ends, steering arms, and studs. The drag link is made from 1 1/4" .250" wall tubing. IMO a far better value than ORD's setup, although ORDs is similar in what it includes, strength, and operation.

Sky's customer service was superb. My kit was shipped the day after it was ordered and I had it the same week. I am VERY impressed with Sky's crossover steering and highly recommend it to others.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Whats there website?

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I ordered my crossover steering from Sky Manufacturing. It includes everything except the steering box, including the studs to bolt the steering arm down which everyone else charges extra for. It cost me $320 to the door and included the pitman arm, drag link, ends, steering arms, and studs. The drag link is made from 1 1/4" .250" wall tubing. IMO a far better value than ORD's setup, although ORDs is similar in what it includes, strength, and operation.

Sky's customer service was superb. My kit was shipped the day after it was ordered and I had it the same week. I am VERY impressed with Sky's crossover steering and highly recommend it to others.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Sky Manufacturing. Sky and Bryan were very helpful in bulding my steering setup. I think they have a little better products then ORD, and the price was a lot less expensive. Custom draglink, pitman arm, tierod, all ends, studs, both steering arms. Again, AWESOME guys! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

sky
    541-736-3743

8. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it's about time that we cut through the bullshi* and tell the truth for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok,I have talked to on the phone and PMed Steve Watson for at least 3 years with all sorts of different Doubler combo setup questions.He answered every one of my PMs and didnt get off of the phone til my questions were answered.I talked to him a few more times after my Doubler purchase with questions I had durring the build and they were answered promptly.

I PMed Steve a few times with questions about his crossover/high steer setup.He answered every one.I ended up buying his setup (purchased but never installed)off of a CK5 member for a great price.Somehow I ended up having the wrong studs for the knuckles.I called him and told him the deal.No hassle,no nothin,"I will send you a new set of studs just send me the old ones" even though I didnt buy the stuff from him.

There.Honest enough?

There is a difference between an honest opinion and being a dick.

Dont be a dick.

Chris

9. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    Whats there website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Off Road Design

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    There is a difference between an honest opinion and being a dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Do a search for my post about High Angle Driveline, or Echobit when they were going, or fellow CK5 member, or scroll up and read what I had to say about Sky manufacturing.

I have lots of good things to say about businesses that care about their customers, and plenty to say about busineses that haven't satisfied me.

I think the customer service competition is great. It helps us support those that keep their customers happy and keep people from. ORD dropped the ball in my case. They have lots of happy customers. One screwup isn't going to change the way they do business. I just feel that there are other options here that must be expored. Sky offered outstanding service and I will HIGHLY recommend them in the future to anyone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have ordered from both sky and ORD. both are top notch, with a little nudge going to ORD for the expirence in big trucks.

both answerd my questions as asked, with a nudge to ORD again, but mainly because i had more ?? than for sky. sky pretty much told me what i needed and that was it, ORD got a little deeper in telling me why i needed it.

if it were me id go ORD no ??, but sky is a reputable shop and would do business w/ them if I were building a toy.

12. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I have AGR Rock ram and a mixed bag making up my high/cross over. Works great but I go though tie rod ends like candy, I think the ram is over strokeing them. Still one of the best mods Ive done.

13. rnss82

rnss82 Registered Member

as any one delt with rockstomper.com and there cross over steering stuff like there offset high steer arms for humvee rims
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Sky is local (generally speaking) to me although the only thing I have got from him was free parts he was throwing out /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I also know a great way to get a discount on his parts for being a member of a local club /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

15. FRIZZLEFRY

Saying that ORD "dropped the ball in your case" comes off way better to me better than calling some of us nutless and in a round about way calling us (happy ORD customers) liars when it comes to us sharing our experiances /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Sky looked like really good parts so I ordered it and WOW tat stuff looks like its indestructable.

Nick

17. FRIZZLEFRY

I have dealt with Scott at Rockstomper for other things besides steering stuff.He stayed on the phone til all my questions were answered and he sells high quality products.I would deal with him again /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I will say this. I have delt with both ORD and Sky. Both good people to deal with. Both sell quality products and have good service. Here is my only issue.

I ordered some bushings and center pins from ORD. I didn't really need to order the center pins from him I could have got them local but I decided I was already paying shipping so another few ounces wouldn't hurt and a few more $ in his pocket. It took 7-10 days longer for my order to get here then I had expected and been told. They said the order would go out the next day. It didn't go out till at least a week later. Turns out he was out of center pins and was waiting on them to come in. That didn't bother me, but it would have been nice to know why my order was not here. I eventually called them up to find out WTF was going on and they told me. I have made a few other orders from them with no problems too though, and I plan to make another order here in a few weeks or so.

I talked to Sky when I ordered my steering arm. They told me up front that they didn't know if they had enough arms in stock to cover my order or if they would have to wait on the machine shop to send some more. They called me and told me that my order would be a week or so delayed until my arm would ship out. It was nice to see them take the initative to call me and tell me what was up instead of leaving me hanging and thinking someone stole my parts off my front porch or something.

But like I said it is nothing big. I will order from ORD again and I know I will get good quality parts. When I start the build on my next truck I know I will call Sky again for steering arms and get quality parts.

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have ordered many items from ORD and have not had a bad experience yet. In fact, there is something in the works that I may post later that will cement my high opinion of ORD so far. I've ordered their shackle reversal, TC 6 inch springs, frame weld in brace, steering box brace, Dedenbear knuckles, king pin rebuild kit, crossover steering kit, Corp14ff axle shafts (Superior), greasable spring bushings, body mounts, and a whole bunch of other stuff that I can't remember off hand. Every item has arrived promptly and with no damage or quality issues. ORD's prices are average. You can find some items cheaper, and sometimes more expensive. They've always taken the time to talk to me on the phone and answer any question that I have. I would be curious as to who the "many others" are that you mention who have had service that leaves "something to be desired"? Are you the only one, or are there others who haven't posted their bad experiences?

20. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have dealt with Scott at Rockstomper for other things besides steering stuff.He stayed on the phone til all my questions were answered and he sells high quality products.I would deal with him again

[/ QUOTE ]

i copy that