Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best damn car/suv out there...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Mar 28, 2005.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Choose your best current model year car based on the following criteria:

Affordable (Under 30K loaded)
    Economical (good fuel economy)
    Nice seat of the pants feeling...peppy, quick, good ride
    4 doors
    Leather/sunroof option

Imports, USofA stuff, all considered.

Yeah, I didn't ever spring for the convertible....now the wife likes the Hyandai Tuscon...but everything about that damn thing twists me the wrong way...can't pin it down...anyways, gimme your best shot!

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

new grand cheroky beat out an audi TT and a BMW 325xi, in 0-60, 20-100, 100-0, an 1/4 mile.

with the hemi kinda cool,

i really really like the look of the new magnum, black with the dodge front end wow, what a good looking car!

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Jetta or Golf TDI, those are closer to $20k though. For something even roomier, slightly less economical MPG-wise (it "only" gets about 37mpg and still scoots), the Passat TDI for about $28k MSRP, loaded. For the ultimate in roomy family fun in a car that handles great, gets up and moves and gets excellent mileage, the Passat Wagon TDI. About $29k MSRP fully loaded, cavernous storage space, diesel efficiency and low end grunt and lots of room inside. Comfy too, I had one as a rental awhile back.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Passat wagon is a sharp looking car too...

My wife has her heart set on a Durango R/T (2001 or so) though. Not exactly what I'd call economical to drive, but she doesn't rack up that many miles per year anyways, and it'll easily tow our camper trailer...

I wouldn't touch a Hyundai with a 10 foot pole. Too many memories of how bad a car they used to build...it'd make me nervous to own one now.

Rene

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Jetta GLI. They're not expensive, quick, better on gas than my Yukon, and they look good doing it.

Or a WRX STi. ...but that's probably my right foot talking.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd go with a used vehicle. Noting wrong with something that's 2 or 3 years old with under 40,000 miles on it. Still under warrenty, and you can buy a extended warrenty. Saves you some $$$.

7. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I'm a bit of a fan of the jeep cherokee, decent ride, great options, only one question, can you still get the inline 6? what a indestructible motor!! I gotta say, i worked at a vw and toyota dealer for a few years, holy crap what junk the vw's are! i've never seen so many factory buy backs in my life!! one woman bought a new beetle owned it for 3 months, we had it for 2 of those!! Now the toyota, that is a dependable car, as long as you stay up with the factory suggested maintenance intervals it seems like they would run forever! Our toyo tech had a 4 runner with over 400k miles!! original motor, tranny and transfer case, said he'd replaced starter, alt that kinda thing, but no major components!!

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Havent been able to get a Cherokee for a few years now, they got replaced by the Liberty.

I vote for either a VW Wagon or a 4-runner. Love those things.

9. tRustyK5

We own a Cherokee...aside from the 4.0 it's a complete POS and I'd never own another let alone recomend one to someone else.

Rene

10. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

what problems have you had with your cherokee, my dad has one as well as my buddy, and they both love it, both have the 4.0L. i was thinking of looking at a used one, i'm not a big fan of the new ones, i think they look to much like everything else on the road.

11. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

We own both an 87 and an 89 cherokee, both with 4.0 and automatics, different t-cases though. The 87 had a t-case issue, which required a rebuild just about, and the front pinion seal was bad and the pinion bearing is shot, but I think that had to do with me submerging the front end with a bad seal and allowing mud/water in :blush:

other than that, both jeeps still run good with over 250k on one, and the 87 approaching that mark, I think they've had the usual maintenance items replaced like Alt, water pump, starter, but no engine rebuilds or major components replaced or transmission problems. The 87 isn't running just right, its down on power for some reason and gets bad mileage, I think theres a bad sensor somewhere, but it also has 31x10.5" tires and a 3" lift on it.

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I quite enjoy Subarus.... I like the WRX because it looks cool and goes fast... However, I'd probably go with the Outback because they're more useful, and have more ground clearance than the other Subarus :)

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2... I've had the transmission rebuilt, the transfer case rebuilt, and I need a wheel bearing, there's a coolant leak, and I'm not a big fan of the Quadratrac in the 98... The 99 I had was a Quadratrac and it didn't jump or skip or whatever when doing tight turns...

So I'd say Subaru if you're looking for a car. I would like to say Grand Cherokee, but really both of the ones I've owned haven't been very good to me, but man they are nice looking...

13. tRustyK5

The unitized hubs up front are a stupid failure prone design.

Don't get me started on the cooling system, another botched nightmare thought up by drunken inbreds.

A computer that you can't run codes on unless you own the 10 gazillion dollar machine. The electrical is mostly crap, and they didn't even bother to put a relay between the ignition switch and the computer. So, everytime the ignition switch gets a little worn it messes with the computer and the POS will end up with all sorts of weird problems. Everything from no start, to a 2500 rpm idle and almost any combination of the two.

At least it's near impossible to work on, unless you are a double jointed contortionist with X-ray vision and hands like a small child.

Did I mention it's not especially fuel efficient? Ours manages an OK 16 mpg, maybe 18 if driven nicely on the freeway. For it's weight and the engines displacement I think that is horrid mileage...

Ours has a few more months with us, then it's gone in favor of almost anything else. Most likely an '01 Durango R/T.

Anyways, it must be a Jeep thing...

Rene

14. corradofreek

corradofreek 1/2 ton status

i agree with all the VW recommendations, but i'm bias as i work on them all the time :D

15. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

For a car, an Acura TSX fits what you are looking for

16. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Lets see got one with 115K, needing new Rear main seal....just changed the PS pump, what a bunch of crap to pull just for that, just replaced the tranny mount need to get to both motor mounts, now it need a new water pump....grr.....electrical gremlins out the wazoo! ..... just a general PITA 95 cherokee....my uncles 94 grand and buddies 96 grand both with 318's have tranny and rear diff issues.....

17. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

Nissan Armada. One of the best towing packages available.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I highly doubt that it's under 30k... :D

19. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

It is right at or just over thirty. A loaded 4-runner isnt far from its price.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

For a full size SUV? OK, hold on...

Just checked, a stripped one is $34k, a loaded one is $40k without additional options... Fuel economy is a staggering 13 city/18 highway... Not that it isn't a nice truck, it's just nothing like what was requested.

A loaded 4 runner is closer to $40k than $30k too, unless they sell for way under MSRP. I'm sure they sell for under MSRP, but I doubt that it's more than 5-10% under.