Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Diff lube for OEM Posi??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, May 20, 2002.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, I recently replaced the rear wheel bearings in my '71, and I'm wondering if I refilled the diff with the wrong oil. It seems that after a long drive drive, the rear end grinds a bit during sharp slow turns... the OEM posi never did that before... I can't recall what oil I used, but it was "recommended" by the computer at Autozone. Am I doing irreparable damage? Any help?

Thanks,
    Erik H

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

1st problem ~ Autozone Recomended??? BZZZZZ wrong answer!!
    Hehehe The noise is probly the cluches slipping, no damage to worry about right away! In time they will wear out prematurlly.
    I would use 90wt gear oil made by any of the major oil companys (Valvaline,Penzoil, etc,,) Goto you local GM dealer's parts counter and ask for "Friction Modifyer" additive or Posi Traction additive. It's a 4oz bottle of stinky oil that reminds me of HighSchool MachineShop!!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif! I love that smell!!/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    You may beable to just add the 4oz stuff without draining and refilling the oil again...sup too you
    Good luck

3. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I usually try to research everything before I ask the Autozone "consultants"... but sometimes I just don't have the time. I should know better.

Is there anywhere else to buy this posi-additive, or is it specifically a GM thing? Based on the sheer number of posi's out there, you'd think this magic lube would be more widely available.

-Erik

-----------------
    1st problem ~ Autozone Recomended??? BZZZZZ wrong answer!!
    Hehehe The noise is probly the cluches slipping, no damage to worry about right away! In time they will wear out prematurlly.
    I would use 90wt gear oil made by any of the major oil companys (Valvaline,Penzoil, etc,,) Goto you local GM dealer's parts counter and ask for "Friction Modifyer" additive or Posi Traction additive. It's a 4oz bottle of stinky oil that reminds me of HighSchool MachineShop!!! I love that smell!!
    You may beable to just add the 4oz stuff without draining and refilling the oil again...sup too you
    Good luck

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The lube is available at most parts stores...but the GM stuff is much better...It even works better than the Ford and Dodge stuff.

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I bought the 4oz bottle from a dealer last night ($11)... I wonder if it's really 5 times better than the additive sold at Peb Boys for 1/5th the cost....

Anyway, I also replaced the gear oil with Valvoline... Seems to run nice n' quiet now. Thanks for advice.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

All you need is a gear dope rated GL-5.

7. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

Kendall makes gear oil with Posi additive allready in it. They also make just the additive and it's half the price of the GM stuff. A couple of different shops told me to stay away from Sta-Lube. I also stay away from Autozone.