Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Distributer and Spark Control system for a TBI engine...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Kyle89K5, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In you folks opinion, what is THE best out there, hand down, bar none, etc.

The engine is stock, but after some ugly rains and hard driving on my part, the stock system is starting to falter. I'm hoping this weekend to replace the whole system, plugs and wire included and wanted to do the standard issue *don't replace, upgrade* thing.

TIA

KP

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a fan of the MSD ignition systems.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The stock setup works just fine. Add the MSD rev control if you want an RPM limiter.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have had EXCELLENT service from all of my MSD compnents for years so I'm a big fan of their stuff. However, all of my experience with MSD has been on older non-computer trucks so I've never upgraded a TBI system.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The stock setup works just fine. Add the MSD rev control if you want an RPM limiter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want just fine, I want the best. Just fine has failed me 4 times in the last 2 years...

KP

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want just fine, I want the best. Just fine has failed me 4 times in the last 2 years...

KP

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is more dependable than the stock ignition system, and it's easier to get parts for than anything else.

If my truck was road driven I wouldn't even run the MSD box I've got. MSD is an ok company, but their parts are nowhere near as dependable as GM's stuff.

I wish there was a better option for you (I'm Mr. Aftermarket, I love pulling off stock parts and throwing them away) but in the form of ignitions there really isn't. GM hit the mark with HEI big time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GM ignition stuff lasts in most cases 20+ years. Aftermarket stuff made in who knows where isn't the same quality.

That said, GM has really started farming out their stuff (AC Delco really) on replacement stuff, and I don't know that the AC Delco name on the box really means one piece out of Taiwan is better than *(insert aftermarket ignition piece maker name in here) piece out of Taiwan.