Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best dog?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

my miniture wiener dogs are starting to get kinda old and won't be with us forever. :( My wife likes big dogs, and the plan, when my current dogs go to doggie heaven, is to get one bigger dog. I am often on a different shift from my wife and I am very interested in home security (whether I am home or not).... so the #1 thing on the priority list is that the dog be a great defender of the home and family.

Pit bulls are not an option... I don't care what anyone says about them. What other breeds should I consider? We have had a few ideas over the years and right now our #1 choice would be a German Shepard, followed by a dobberman or Rottweiler or a Lab of some kind.

Our yard will be decent sized (probably a quarter acre or so) and fully fenced... so the dog will have room to roam when we aren't out walking him. Because of the fencing, he will be able to defend the entire perimeter... including front/back yards, points of entry to the house as well as our driveway / parking area.

I'm not super paranoid about it or anything, but home invasion crimes are WAY up in this country... if 3-4 dudes break in I need a dog who will give me or the wife time to grab guns and call the cops. No sissy dogs or lap dogs will work for that. The dogs I have now are great at sounding the alarm and letting us know when people approach our house, but I'd like a dog that could actually tangle with a bad guy (or psycho dog) if need be.

We ain't rich... so super-exotic / rare / expensive dogs are out.

We aren't going to have kids.... but on rare occassions neices or nephews might come by. No super small kids... prolly age 10 and up by the time we get a dog and it matures. At any rate, they could be exposed to kids at some point, so we don't want a dog prone to be vicious. Last thing i need is a law suit because of my dog.

anyway, you guys know lots more about dogs than I do... what say you?

j

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 2 yellow labs and they are my choice hands down.

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Shepard maybe???

4. jekbrown

my wife does like labs... she had a black lab for a long time. I get to chose what kinda dog it is though... and I kinda like Shepards. They seem (generalization of course) to be slightly bigger and have some pretty serious jaws on 'em...

j

5. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Personally, I would go for a lab.

6. jekbrown

great, we have one vote for labs... one for shepards... just like we do in my household right now. Someone break the tie. :thumb:

beat me to it Mike... lol!

j

7. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Alaskian Malamute or an Akita. But go to the pound first and look around. That's how I got my dog (he's a 125lb Austrailan shepard - Huskey or Malamute mix)

8. jekbrown

we'd like to raise the thing to adulthood ourselves if possible... the pound is definitely worth checking in to, but I dunno if puppies last long there. :(

j

9. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Blue Heeler

I don't know if yall have them up there or not.

I have a my Blue Heeler/Rowdy is his name, for 14 years. I am 26.

Unfortunately I have ran over him twice, once in a 1993 s-10 which was my fault. He was underneath the truck and I did not look for him. The second time in my Blazer, again my fault he is 14 years old and blind as a bat, also he can't hear either.

Now to the good part. This is the most loyal dog I have ever seen, even after I ran over him.

He was rasied on 10 acres with cows. Not necessarily a ranch dog but he knows how to handle cattle.

His bite is equal to his bark and the hair on his back is an automatic pucker factor for people visiting.

When he was younger he was solid muscle, stout. He could jump over the hood of my s-10, from one side to the other. His mentality was to never give up in anything he did, balls out everytime.

Pros

Loud
    Intimidating for a smaller dog
    Very obediant, listenes and follows commands.
    Not to good with kids, kinda ruff. This could be a pro or con, your call.

All around best dog I have ever owned. Actually one of two dogs I have ever owned.

Cons

Sheds, he is not an inside dog.
    Needs lots of attention, very easily excited.

Good luck

10. Snowman1000

Snowman1000 1/2 ton status

Ill tell you a shepard is one heck of a security dog, one of my buddies has one and ill tell you its nice once you have been around it, but if your a stranger you know it.

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

our neighbors have a 1/2 shepard, 1/2 lab that is a great dog.

12. jekbrown

see, thats what I'm talking aboot... :thumb:

We are going to gate our driveway, so no one will be setting foot on our land without getting a "visit" from the family dog. Might have to work out some system for the mailman / UPS / FedEx / DHL guy though... :thinking:

With a good dog deployed, no car thief or home invader guy is going to chose your house over the neighbors...

a 50/50 lab/shepard mix would be a hella good dog too.

I was looking at a house a few weeks back and drove by a place that had two big shepards... no fence, no leashes... nuttin'. When I pulled up they started trotting towards me. It was pretty damn intimidating and I was inside a car! ;) :thumb: On the way back down their street, they were a bit more calm... one had laid down. I snapped this pic of them on the way by. Safe to say no one has broken into that house in recent memory!

[​IMG]

I've seen a lot of GSDs in the 60-80 pound size... and these two seemed slightly bigger. I dunno, maybe their hair was perked up. At any rate, they looked pretty dang tough!

j

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A dog that barks when someone comes in the yard , or knocks on the door . A dog that isn't food agressive . A dog that runs and jumps in the truck right away without tearing off down the street . Will sit and stay . And who clears the house when you let her in from being gone all day . A dog who loves your firends and family , and gets excited to see them , although we could work on the jumping for kisses .

So you need my dog ..... mostly shepherd/husky , with some pit or something mixed in :thumb:

14. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

I've got two Chocolate Labs and they are great watch dogs. They have big barks, and they don't let strangers around without some pretty good posturing at least. They've never bitten anyone, but they've gotten some folks attention before. One of mine is very large for a Lab, too, he runs around 108 lbs, the other is around 80.

15. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

Lets see my shepard is pretty melow and only gets protective if my pitbull is on edge about somebody. My lab is only protective when it come to other dogs.

Shepards are big strong dogs, will your wife be able to control him/her?

16. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

one con to a shepard Are the hip problems. Mine hasnt had any issue with that yet but we did have to get both her knees fixed.

17. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

:p: Pitbull :p:

My other dog is a GS/golden lab mix that I got from the pound. He is pretty big (100lbs) and a pretty good watch dog. He doesn't get aggressive and I've never heard him growl, but he does bark if there is someone in the alley or in front of the house. If I bring someone into the yard, he figures it must be cool. He's a little rough on little kids (knocks them over usually when trying to lick their faces or ears).

I guess another vote for a GS or GS mix... :)

18. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

A buddy of mine has a Rott/Shepherd mix. That is a beast of a dog. She weighs around 130lbs and has a pretty scary bark. She's pretty damn intimidating, but once she knows you are a friend, she is about the nicest dog I have ever been around. They have a 1 year old little girl that lays on her and plays kind of rough with her, but Daisy just lays there and takes it.

19. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

Oh yeah, I was looking at pitbull pups. Until last week not too far from my dad, a guy was outside with his pitbull and 2 year old kid. For some reason the dog attacked the little kid and killed her:

Police: Toddler Mauled, Killed By Family Pit Bull

Police say a two-year-old Hispanic girl was mauled to death by her family's pit bull.
    It happened on the 2100 block of Bois D'Arc Road in Combine Texas. That's on the Dallas Border.
    The Dallas County Sheriff's Department said they received the 911 call around 4 p.m. Thursday. Over the phone, a paramedic helped a man perform CPR until an ambulance could arrive, police say.
    The girl was taken to Children's Medical Center Dallas, where she later died. Police say there is a potential for criminal charges in the death of the girl.

20. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have an Akbash. They are a Turkish breed, bred to guard livestock. They have no fear of any other animal. They are highly intelligent and very independent. Mine is around 110lbs, pure white with medium length hair. They LOVE to just sit outside, and watch the world go by. Even when it is -20 outside, Cirrus still wants to go outside and lay around.

This breed requires firm training and handling. They are not a dog for kids. They are not cuddly, either. I get a greeting when I get home, and that's about it.

I would not have a lab for a "protection" dog. They are just too friendly towards people. Mine likes to "smile" at folks who get too close to my truck. Everyone tells me how beautiful she is, but they don't try to walk up and pet her.