Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Entry Level AR15 ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I am thinking of getting a AR15, Ruger Mini14, or AK47 fairly soon, what is the best bet entry level AR15? The other two are no brainers but the AR15 is copied so much I don;t know where to start.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I loved my Mini-14. My SKS isn't as high maintenence (looser tolerances= less cleaning) and my AR-10 is a dream. I'd say Mini-14 they are fun with lots of options /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'd recommend a no-frills 20" a2 model.

I built mine. You can buy them new for maybe $100 more than I spent to build mine.

[​IMG]

4. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd recommend a no-frills 20" a2 model.

I built mine. You can buy them new for maybe $100 more than I spent to build mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where did you get your parts? Did you buy a kit, or just piece it all together?

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have an Oly Arms stripped pre-ban lower that I added a new Bushmaster upper/lower-parts kit too. Chicks dig the 16" H-bar.

j

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I personally would get a clone of the M4. I had an Olympic Arms M16A2 clone, and it was a really nice gun. No complaints whatsoever.

The Colts hold more appeal to collectors, but FWIW, FN is the government contractor last I checked for the M16. I read somewhere that the Colt quality had slipped somewhat.

Anyways, for the M4, as long as you aren't looking for super long range accuracy, I don't think it can be beat for the options available compared to the A2's. Secure scope mounts, compact, etc. I feel it's the most appealing looking M16 in the series.

Most of the companies out there PROBABLY get their receiver pieces from the same supplier, except the high end places that probably make their own.

8. jekbrown

Im not a big fan of m4 style bbls. The way they neck down is pointless unless you want a grenade launcher and it makes the bbl weaker. Thats why I like my no-neck-down H-bar. Sure, its slightly more front-heavy than a standard military 20" bbl... but with sustained rapid fire I wont turn the bbl into a wet noodle either! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

its also worth noting that there are a lot of people looking at after-action reports from iraq/afghanistan who are starting to wonder if short-bbl .223 weapons are the best of ideas. The round is already marginal for man-sized targets and bullet velocity is really its only friend... short bbl = less velo = bad times... especially with heavier (greater than 55gr) bullets.

j

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Im not a big fan of m4 style bbls. The way they neck down is pointless unless you want a grenade launcher and it makes the bbl weaker. Thats why I like my no-neck-down H-bar. Sure, its slightly more front-heavy than a standard military 20" bbl... but with sustained rapid fire I wont turn the bbl into a wet noodle either! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

its also worth noting that there are a lot of people looking at after-action reports from iraq/afghanistan who are starting to wonder if short-bbl .223 weapons are the best of ideas. The round is already marginal for man-sized targets and bullet velocity is really its only friend... short bbl = less velo = bad times... especially with heavier (greater than 55gr) bullets.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

M4's have only been reported of having probs at distance greater then 300 meters...which the M4 wasnt really designed for, its a CQB weapon and in its realm is AWESOME!!
    Hey JEK, bring yer AR15 when we all go out to TSF...Im bringing all my battle rattle!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now as for a good entry level I'd say get a Bushy stripped lower, then build it up with either a model 1 kit or a JT kit....you can build one for around 600 bucks...cheaper if u get a cheaper lower (I just preffer Bushy or DPMS because they have no sear block in em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)
    If you want any more info PM me, I've built a few AR's for people!

10. jekbrown

Ive never shot out in TSF... where do ya do it? Ive heard plenty of rifles goin off... just dunno where people generally shoot so its safe. I get annoyed by ATVs/bikes, but I really dont wanna cap one of em just cause Im shooting in the wrong place. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i hear ya on the range/.223/m4 thing. I still dont like bbls with a neck-down in 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess I'm a fool, but I do not care for the M4/M16/AR-15 at all.

Get an M1A instead.

12. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Olympic makes a model called the plinker. It's a no frills rifle that is just that, a plinker. Still could add new barrel or upper all together.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

M1A is in an entirely different class. Aren't almost all of them over $1000? I wouldn't consider that entry level. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, the M1A SOCOM or whatever they just came out with, is sure a nice looking rifle. Just not going to pay that much for one.

14. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]

Get an M1A instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

See thats gonna be my NEXT rifle purchase!! but with my current hobby being trucks it'll go on the back burner for now...hell I got more $$ into my AR, I coulda had a D60 with a locker in it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    But yes...M1A's are SICK especially now that the ban is gone and mags for it wont cost 100+ dollars!!

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Where did you get your parts? Did you buy a kit, or just piece it all together?

[/ QUOTE ]

DPMS forged lower. J&T upper kit. The upper is already together. You have to assemble the lower and connect the two. I used a $10 set of pin punches, a hammer, and vice grips to assemble mine.

20" a2 kit

I was concerned that perhaps my lower and my upper would not match. In fact, the finish matches completely.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a Ruger Mini 30. (7.62x39) I like it way better than .223 Cal. I think it is a better entry gun than a .223 But that is just my opinion.
    Ammo is cheap. It hits hard. I have even killed deer with it.
    I have heard even the US military is giving up on .223 and going back to .30 cal.

17. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a Ruger Mini 30. (7.62x39) I like it way better than .223 Cal. I think it is a better entry gun than a .223 But that is just my opinion.
    Ammo is cheap. It hits hard. I have even killed deer with it.
    I have heard even the US military is giving up on .223 and going back to .30 cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the Rumors at least....if the Military DOES abandon the 5.56 it wont be for a .30 cal (or7.62) but for the new 6.8 spc cartridge....which then they wont have to replace all their rifles, just the upper recievers and the Mags. However I really DOUBT they will anytime soon...the new Blackhills 77gr mk262 mod1 the SOF guys are using has really helped where the M855ball 62gr bullet has failed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Get an M1A instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not used one like I'm sure some of you guys have (ie folks in the military) and I'm probley bias but I like HK91's and G3's, along with the MP5's. Bad thing is theres not a good quality inexpensive clone thats highly accurat without some tweeking and the originals hard hard to come by. Maybe with the ban lifted they will go back into production as a restamped/retooled item that could be very accurat from the company ($2400 late 70's used gun in good condition or a new $1200 gun retooled with new materials and closer tolerences /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). The quality will still be there but not the heritage like you get from the 60-70's weapons. For the people wanting to use them instead of collect it would be probley be more accurat and alot less expensive!

Yes I know there SL-8 and the 45's out but I like the looks of the older HK91's and G3's. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. smprider112

There was a company producing HK94 clones (16" semi auto mp5's) they where based outta AZ, I think the guns where called SW5's....I wanna get one then get it registered as a SBR (short barrelled rifle) and have the closest thing to an MP5.
    HK91's/G3's/CETME's are very nice rifles, however their QUITE a bit heavier then even my M4gery with all the goodies I have attached to it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. jekbrown

well, since they are .308 instead of .223, I would hope so. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j