Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best exhaust set-up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by unsane, Jan 3, 2003.

1. unsane

unsane Guest

What, if any are the best bolt-in exhaust systems for an 89? I was thinking on going with a good set of headers and total eliminaton of the Converter. I def want to use flowmasters for mufflers though. Any thoughts?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've used the dynomax systems a few times and they have been OK. I used their headers also. the headers are not the greatest but they are not that bad either.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I used Hooker Super Comp headers, Dynomax cat, and Flowmaster muffler and I love the combo; although, it was nothing even close to a bolt on setup ....

Pics of my exhaust

Thomas.

4. unsane

unsane Guest

Well when I say bolt-on, I really mean no welding. I dont have a welder yet.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Newer converters don't hurt anything but your pocketbook when you replace them, if you don't have any emissions testing/visual inspection, won't get them locally soon, or won't be moving somewhere that has a emissions/visual inspection, it's up to you if you want to replace it or not.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, 2.25" dual exhaust (No cats if you can get away with it) with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Borrow friends welder)

7. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

On my 78 which came with factory dual exhaust and no cats, I used Hooker's headers and their "competition exhaust system". It was totally bolt on... fits very well, nice 2.25" mandrel bent tubing... add muffler of your choice. Not very expensive either... got it all from Summit. Probably not emmission legal on an '88 though.

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Do you have part #s? I've been looking for a bolt-on exhaust setup for a K5. My '82 is still being strangled by the 305 manifolds. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Okay: These are Summit's P/N's and $. You can get more info. on the Holley/Hooker website if you want. I used HOK-2453 Hooker competition header: $157.00. Good design, nice thick flange, pass. side header "shorter" to clear front driveshaft, cleared mechanical clutch mech. w/spring relocation. Exhaust system: Hooker HOK-16528, dual 2.25" mandrel bent tube w/ hangers:$120.00. You may have to drill a couple of holes to mount hangers...fit and performance are excellent. Add muffler of your choice. I used Summit's SUM-630122 qty:2, $15.00 ea. Not too loud, but lots of flow. Sounds awesome when I dump the secondaries! Note: Summit charges $8 handling fee for all this stuff-- they pay the shipping. You may need to have someone weld in an O2 bung for your sensor. I did it just to use an air/fuel ratio gage to tune with. A local muffer shop did it for $25.00 including the bung. Anyway, let me know if you have any other questions.

10. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I might have to look at those headers. The dynomax ones barely clear everything on the passenger side and both seem to hang down low.

11. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

I'd definately go with tri-y's. These headers still maintain enough back pressure to increase bottom end power without sacrificing mid range to top end. (Truck is heavy and bottom end power is needed) Go for the 4 into 1 headers and you will lose bottom end power.

12. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking about doing the same, let me know how if works out, or if you need a hand /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif