Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bruboy720, Feb 20, 2003.

1. bruboy720

bruboy720 Registered Member

I was wondering what you all thought was the best exhuast. I have heard alot of people using flowmasters and i was wondering what you guys thought was the best and had the best sound and most hp gain. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hp gains I hve no idea, can't afford to do a dyno run on every exhaust. I am running manifolds through gutted cats into cherry bombs now, true dual the whole way and it sounds alright. I am going to headers and just flowmaster 40 series in a week or two when I do my engine swap. That should sound really nice. I like the sound of flowmasters, pretty good nosie level(I like them loud), and nice deep tone. Takes away the high pitches that you get with glasspacks and straight exhaust.

3. BRN78BLAZER

BRN78BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Origionally I was running 2.5" cherry bombs, no cats. The noise level was enough to get on your nerves after a while, but had good power. Then I had new duals with factory type mufflers put on, was very quiet but completely sucked cause of the power loss. Now I've got the cherry bombs back on, and I added a crossover pipe up front and it's not "quiet" but not nearly as noisey as before and also has more power than before. So I would say with new pipes and a crossover cherry bombs should be alright.
    But if you have to run cats, sometimes they take the noise level down quite a bit themselves.
    the 2.5 cherry bombs and crossover added enough power that I can now lay more rubber shifting into 2nd than I ever could before in 1st. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (305 2bbl)

4. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I am running duals w/ glasspacks. I hate it. The only reason it is on there is because it was NEW when I got the rig about a year ago. I am hoping to take it off SOON. When I do it will get a single 3" w/ a MUFFLER of some kind... either a Hooker, Flowmaster, or Edelbrock probably.

5. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've got three chamber (also called 50 series IIRC) flowmasters behind the headers on my 454. This is with 2.5 inch duals dumping just behind the mufflers. I think it sounds great and isn't too loud. Nice and deep, can hardly hear them on the highway unless I'm standing on it. A friend of mine has the two chamber flowmasters behind his 383, and my god, that thing is damn loud. You don't want to be standing near one of his exhaust pipes if its revved up at all.

6. pissant469

pissant469 1/2 ton status

i am running hooker long tubes into an h-pipe then out each corner

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i have flowmasters 50 series on true duals with headers and i love it loud at idle and when you get on it but quiet on the highway but i realy wanted flowtech terminators i had them on 2 trucks before and i love the way they sound its just like a flowmaster but deeper

8. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I like the sound of a flowmaster, but I wanted something a little different, so the last set of mufflers i got were Dynomax 6" round welded race mufflers. They are a straight thru design, my truck has hooker headers w/3" duals and these mufflers on them and a small turn down just about at the rear axle. It has a very deep sound thats not loud until I stand on it, but to me thats when it sounds real good /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have flowmasters on two trucks and like them. The 50 Series is much quieter at idle than the 40 series. But when you stomp it it screams. I like the subdued sound when needed.

I also have magnaflow mufflers on 3 different vehicles too. I personally like them the best. Plus they come with a lifetime warranty. They are built like the borla or dynomax race mufflers. They are straight through, no baffles.

If I were to build an exhaust again, I would go with magnaflow mufflers.

John

10. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I have 3" into a Magnaflow with a single 3" out the back. Put on high flow cat...good performance...NO noise. I put it on because it was quiet (for my wife) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif and my muffler guy said it performed as well if not better than a Flowmaster /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif. I will be changing it soon to something a little louder (for me) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering what you all thought was the best exhuast. I have heard alot of people using flowmasters and i was wondering what you guys thought was the best and had the best sound and most hp gain. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ] My future plans for the exhaust system is: Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, 2.25 inch dual exhaust with (H) pipe, and Flowmaster (40 series) mufflers. I like my trucks alittle loud, but if you want something not as loud, the 50 series might be better. Where at in Iowa you from ??? I've been all over the western part of Iowa. Still got some family down that way.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the dynomax round race mufflers(not bullets) sound pretty good. My buddy had one on his f250 behind a 5.8L and no cat, that thing sounded good. Thanks to the 4.56 gears and 35s it made a lot of awesome noise but didn't go anywhere /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

13. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FLOWMASTER all the way both my K-20's have 3" pipe with 2-chamber 40 series crossover pipe and 4"x24" "Echo Chambers" they both sound awesome My K10 has 2-1/2" pipe with 12" glasspacks and 3 1/2"x24" Echo Chambers It's loud and that's about it .It's gettin' flowmasters as soon as possible probaly 1 chambers /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

A friend of mine just got a Magnaflow Cat-Back system installed on his Daily Driver ('97 GMC Yukon) yesterday and it sounds great IMO. Its one of those mufflers thats only loud when you want it to be, so its not annoying. I'm pretty sure that the HP gains are alot because of the way this muffler is designed.

15. bruboy720

bruboy720 Registered Member

I also was wondering i should expect as a price for this.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Anyone use the Summit Racing FM knockoffs that are $15 each? They say they flow well and give some power and have a good price, too.

andy

17. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

The Flowmaster or Magnaflow mufflers are going to cost you anywhere from $70-$110 a piece just for the muffler. Then you will have installation and the price of the tail pipe. Depends on the shop you use for the total price. Get a couple of estimates before you decide.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you want something real trick, try these and tuck the rest of the exhaust system up high and solid mounted.

19. BlackK5

BlackK5 Registered Member

Bought a Flowmaster Cat-back system from Summit 3 years ago for $190.00. Am not dissapointed. Sounds real good. Not obnoxiously loud at all. Nice low rumble. Flowmaster claims a 10-25 hp gain (although I think that is exagerated. ALso put on a catco high flow cat. System seems to be holding up real well. Summit still sells this system for the same price.

20. cheyenne_77

cheyenne_77 Registered Member

Being for a truck of its weight i myself would go for a tri-y set up oin the neaders department. (extractors) These will maintain alittle backpressure to your donk and give you the extra bottom end power you will need for taking off with such an weight. Then from there go for any good free flowing muffler set up you can find for your required note. (Keeping flow in mind as you do not want to choke your headers.) Try and steer clear from the 4 into 1 collector units.(extractors) You will not get as good a launch from your truck as you would from a tri-y system. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif