Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best front diff??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big'nBadK5, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Big'nBadK5

Big'nBadK5 Registered Member

I am going to detroit my 14bff with 4.88 gears, when i do the swap i also want to put some sort of traction aid in the front axle (d44), so i was wondering what your experiences are with front lockers/posi units, i was reading about the true-trac but have no experience with this stuff so any advice is helpful. thanks alot.
    Another thing my truck will have an sm465 in it and someone said that the detroit is "unruly" with a manual tranny, what does that mean? am i getting into making this truck undriveable?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The Detroit with a manual tranny is a bit more difficult to deal with than with an auto, since every time you clutch and shift the locker will unlock and lock back up, so the truck might have a tendency to jerk a little bit to one side. Some people say they don't notice it, others get rid of the Detroit because it bugs them so much. It's more pronounced on SWB vehicles.

As for the front, I ran a Power-Lok in the front of my truck for a few years and it worked very well. It's a very strong limited slip with a pretty heavy bias, meaning it takes a good deal to overcome the grip of the clutches. It's also much easier to steer with an L/S in the front than it is with a full locker.</font>

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

What do you plan on doing with the truck? a posi will work for mud, but not rocks. A locker works awsome for rocks, but is reall hard to steer at speeds, like flying through a mud hole.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif