Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best ghetto mud guards ever...(pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jan 22, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After re-doing my truck's floor i realized that the rear wheel wells of our K5's have HUGE open holes that lead to area's of rot due to salt build up, mud build up, basically anything that gets thrown off the wheels will either end up in the corner of the front cab or caked in the tailpan section of our trucks. Before i did any wheeling with it or any snow came along i wanted to make an inner wheel well flap. I was trying to find large sheets of durable rubber to cut up and use. One day i was at Sam's club and i saw one of those plastic/rubber computer chair mats you use under the chairs on carpets. So i picked it up, its pretty darn thick, and only 10bucks for about 3sq feet of it!

I brought it home, made some cardboard mock up pieces to fit in my wheel wells and then cut the same shape out of the clear rubber/plastic mat. After cutting it to the shape i wanted to, i then took undercoating and coated both sides of it. I let it dry, drilled a few bolt holes and bam i got myself some serious mud/salt protection for my floors. The rear one i ended up curving from the wheel well and all the way back to the bumper so it minimizes junk getting stuffed into my tailpan. they work great so far! Its definitly something i would recommend doing.

Here is a picture of the front section, sry for the quality kinda hard to see them as well cuz of the salt on them!
    [​IMG]
    Here is the back section
    [​IMG]

2. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Looks good...great idea too.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

looks good, I hate cleaning mud out of all those little places,, id just like to see some snow :(

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

From now on I'm bringing home all the bad/worn out/garbage/scrap conveyor belt I can bring home. Might be redneck as hell but I think I can come up with numerous uses for it, similar to what you've done above. :grin:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I made sure to get front/rear flaps done for my truck before hunting this season, to see what kind of difference it made.

I need to make the rears hang down lower. I cut them about as you did, even with the bottom of the body, but that leaves a perfect place for ice to form, which leads, in my case, to ice meeting the tailpipe(s), which rattles like crazy when the engine idles. Not only that, it still allows junk to be thrown up to the hinges, where the body really likes to rot out.

The front ones are absolute magic though, my body is as clean under there as it was when I installed them.

For the fronts I just used mudflaps off a semi-truck, and for the back, I used what appears to be conveyor belt stuff, something like $.50/pound at the local miscellaneous leftover stuff company. Cuts easier than the mudflaps, thats for sure. Held up fine though.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ya i thought that too when i was making them so i made it curve around and stay up in the body slightly and bolted it to the bumper works great so far.