Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best GM 454 heads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Jan 20, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

What is the best (casting #) heads that GM made for big blocks? I want a cast iron set with oval ports and the 2.19" intake and 1.88" exhaust, but dont know the casting # for any version with these spec's. Thx

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya might want to browse around at www.mortec.com There are lots of engine specs and casting numbers available over there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

#049 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Thx. The casting number 241 also comes to mind as a good set of heads. Is it? Are there any other good ones?

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Both the 049 and 781 castings are great and, for the sake of argument, they are identical. They do have the small valve from GM but BBC heads are easily cut open to the bigger ones.

If you're wanting a nice torque oriented motor I'd get these heads and stay with the small valves.

6. ratlover

ratlover 1/2 ton status

Every one has given good advice thus far. Go with a good gm oval port IMO its 280 is another good one thats easy to find.

You need to decide if you want open chamber or closed chamber. If you already have pistions for one or the other then go with what you have pistons for(unless you want to raise or lower your compresion then switch for the desired result)

If you are starting from scratch then I would try to score some closed chamber heads. The less dome you run to get your required compression the beter. Less detonation prone less lead on the spark better flame travel=more power. The previously held thought that smaller chambers "shroud" the valves is a non issue. There isnt flow to be had with a open head.

The open vrs closed difference is very small especially in a more mild motor. I wouldnt sweat closed or open too much but if given the choice between the 2 all else being equal I would go closed chamber.

What sized motor and all that other stuff? Valve size is probably a non issue for you but most factory ovals will take the 2.19's no prob.

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll put in another vote for the #049's or the #781's - either one is GREAT for power all through out the RPM range.
    There are other good oval port castings too , but these two are top dog in stock form.JMHO , Tom

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I have a set off a 69 vette (L86?) ran them on a boat...