Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best headers for a 350 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zcarczar, Mar 1, 2002.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im in the market for some new headers for my k5, its got a TBI 350, and it has headers on it, but they are warped at the flange, i was looking at the doug thorley's, has any one tried these, i was also looking to go dual exhaust and lose the cat and go dual exhaust, is this a good idea? or should i leave it with a single cat and go dual after the cat?
    by the way i know the smog tech guy at my shop so smogging is not a worry

My Website<a target="_blank" href=http://www.zcarczar.com>www.zcarczar.com</a>
    89 K5 350 TBI 35x12.5.15 BFG's 4" lift

2. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I have a friend who is running a set of Tri-Ys. But they were custom made at a shop in Seattle Washington. I think it is called Stans Headers. THey might have a home page. THey are $pendy. In my opinion I would leave it single. Dual will get louder. Depends on mufflers, size pipe, etc.

3. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you don't have the $$$ for the Thorleys, I'd recommend Flowtech Afterburners. I used them in my Blazer and still would be using them if I weren't swapping a 454 with a set of Thorleys.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I could really careless about noise since im 16, i do like the thorleys, and i was also wondering is there away that i can make it so the exhaust crossover tube doesnt run under the front driveshaft?

5. 85Jimmy

85Jimmy Registered Member

I say you can dual it!!! I got a set of Hooker Comp headers Part#2827 and the dual exhaust kit that they make Part#16528,then i just put on some cheapo thrush turbos and it works awesome.

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thorley's all the way baby!!!! And never look back!!!

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Ive decided to go with the thorleys, but i have one question they have 2 differents sets of headers on their site for k5's, one for a stock hieght truck and the other with a 4"-6" lift, i was thinkin i should go with the ones with for the lift since my truck is lifted

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I used dynomax headers. they come jethot coated-lifetime warrenty against rust. $210.00. Dynomax dual pipes kit. it goes over the crossmember. $100.00 . added two flowmaster 40 series $60.00? each

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I used dynomax headers. they come jethot coated-lifetime warrenty against rust. $210.00. Dynomax dual pipes kit. it goes over the crossmember. $100.00 . added two flowmaster 40 series $60.00? each aslo had to weld an O2 bung to the pipes

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bingo except I had 12" glasspacks. Worth every penny, that kit is.

I have straight pipes now. If it's still not loud enough, I'll get a bigger motor.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

I've heard that thorleys are the way to go. I have a set of hooker comps, just took em off got em sandblasted and painted. they work great. nothing bent no leaks.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think the stock ones have one side turn inward to go to the cross over and the ones for lifted trucks are straight. You should call them to find out.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

13. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Just put a set of ceramic coated JBA's on mine and they are unbelievable! Just a little pricey.

14. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

i have a set of the thorly try y's and they are great huge power gain and no yeaks yet 6 monts 10k miles. they quote the power gains at 25 for single exhaust and 15 for dual it has to do with the y pipe actually acting like another collector. the only drawback is that they do not keep these instock andhave to be made it took me 3 months before i got mine. i paid $415 for mine with the y pipe which isnt bad when you figure that they are ceramic coated which will cost you at least $250 alone for any header and a y pipe goes for $100 bucks, and the thorlyes are mde extremely well and bolt up to the factory exhaust

15. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the responses, I'm gonna go with the Throley's, Im going to call them tommorrow and find out the difference between the ones for lifted and non-lifted blazer,
    Thanks