Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Headers???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skink4president, Oct 6, 2005.

1. skink4president

skink4president Registered Member

I've searched the forums and can't find a thread specifically dealing with this issue. I'm planning on putting a new exhaust system (headers to tailpipe) on my '73 K5 and was wondering what everyone thought were the best headers out there. Hooker? Thorley? Hedman? Others???

2. gauder

gauder Banned

You can never go wrong with Hooker.

3. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

www.stansheaders.com expensive but will worth it, they have thick 3/8ths flanges ball and socket collecters that don't use a gasket so they don't leak. They're very similar to thorley's as far as tri-y design. HIGHLY Recommended

4. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Really depends on your price range. I've heard that Sanderson and Thorley headers are pretty top notch. But they cost more than the Hedman or Hookers. Unless you want the top of the line Hedmans or Hookers. I personally think that you cant go wrong with a set of ceramic coated (inside and out) Hookers or Hedmans. You might try and find one with a thicker flange, as the thin ones tend to warp easier. But you can always cut the flange to remedy that. As far as my personal experience, I had a set of Hookers that the flange warped on my 350. The Hedmans I ran never warped. Didnt notice any performance difference between the two.
    There are quite a few header manufacturers you can check out...Edelbrock, Sanderson, Hooker, Hedman, Flowtech, Gibson, JBA, Dynomax...

5. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

I've never had a problem with my hookers. never leaked.
    My Hooker headers aren't bad either

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive had Hooker headers (81 Blazer), the super comps cost more than others but never had probs. My hot rods (69 Malibu, 72 Nova) have had ceramicoated Dynomax headers, worked fine. Right now I'm running cheap $90. Summit headers in my K20 and seam to be working ok. A buddy of mine ran some flowtechs on his Blazer and they would hit. Another buddy got some Headman's for his Ford and they would not fit at all, turned out Headman made a batch of headers that were formed/shaped wrong. But I believe most decent name brands should be fine. Dont bother with the paper gaskets that come with 'em, go down n buy some decent gaskets. And dont forget to check the header bolts. I once had an exhaust leak that kept getting worse, when I finally decided to tighten the bolts the back one by cyl #7 had loosened up and fallen out!!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hedman Elites fit my truck very well, and were pretty cheap. Use the much better ball/socket setup than the flat flange most other headers have, come with thick flanges, thicker walled pipe, and ceramic coated outside.

Only about $200 from Summit IIRC.

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

:waytogo:
    I didn't know those had the ball/socket setup. Good to know :waytogo:

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

who doesnt like hookers? :haha: :haha: