Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best heads for my TBI motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Nov 26, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thinking of sprucing up my 95 silverado a bit and i want to do heads and a cam on it. been kicking around these three options:

vortec heads
    s/r torkers
    BMPP cast iron tbi heads

aluminum is not in the budget. i have a crane truck power cam to go along with it that is in the 214-218 range (can't remember off the top of my head)

the BMPP heads sure seem like a good deal to me. anyone have any experience with these?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

S/R torquers

3. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

what do yall recomend for aluminum heads? i would like to rebuild my tbi sometime, but dont have the funds to do so anytime soon. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what do yall recomend for aluminum heads? i would like to rebuild my tbi sometime, but dont have the funds to do so anytime soon. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ] DART !!!!

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Why would you put aluminum heads on a TBI engine??
    An 8.5:1 engine hardly needs aluminum heads to begin with.
    S/R tourquers are a much better investment.
    Start pushing 10.0:1 and aluminum heads would start lookin better.
    If the plant starts lookin like that then TBI isn't even in the picture anyway.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Aluminum? No brainer. AFR.

7. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifVortec heads

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Get the S/r torquers. Bit better flow than a vortec and a way heavier duty casting.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I'll vote for the S/R Torquers as well. I've had a pair of the 67cc 2.02/1.60's on my 388 for some time now and would recommend them. If I were to upgrade, the only heads I would get would be a set of AFR 195's. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I also vote for the S/R torquers. If I ever put a set of real heads on my 406 they will be AFR 195cc alums for sure.

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Add one more vote for the S/R's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif There are better ( higher flowing ) heads out there but if you want to make good use of the T.B.I. set up the S/R's are a fine choice and , as stated above , are a MUCH better casting .
    Tom

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Iron heads. centerbolt World S/R Torquers are the best for TBI IMHO.
    If you want to save a few bucks get theseSDPC L 98 Heads They work great on TBI trucks and flow plenty for TBI. They orginally came on the TBI Birds and Camaros.
    Aluminum heads are not really worth putting on a TBI truck.
    Their only real advantage on a low compression engine is weight savings. On a 5000 pound truck 45 pounds wont make any difference.Except to lighten up your wallet /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    On a low compression engine Iron heads of similar flow rates and compression ratio will make more power than Aluimnium heads of similar flow ect.

BTW Those numbers you gave for the cam may require a custom chip.

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want to save a few bucks get theseSDPC L 98 Heads

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the 3rd option i had listed in my post. i'm leaning towards them cause they are so damn affordable. this is not going to be a race engine. just want to spruise up the ol' work truck. anyone with a 350 tbi in front of a 480LE knows they are pretty doggy.

14. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

If you add these new heads to your motor what other mods would the motor benifit from aswell? That would work with these heads? What type of cam would you suggest? Should you leave the tbi alone or do you need to adjust it also? Mine is a 1990 suburban w/ the 5.7l. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

15. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

You can get a set of the s/r torquer heads complete for $799 from summit. Here is a link to them on summit
    These are also the heads I am going to run on my 355 TBI also.

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Get the S/r torquers. Bit better flow than a vortec and a way heavier duty casting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll give you that they seem to be a heavier casting, but as far as flow, the Vortecs win. maybe not by published magazine numbers, or advertising numbers, but i have worked with a flow bench and a number of iron heads, and Vortecs were up there.

17. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

CHP did a bench test on a bunch of heads and the Vortecs did outflow the S/R's by a lil bit.
    But with a chamber size of only 64cc's...
    If all you are doing for an upgrade is heads then stick with the same chamber size which for a stock TBI plant I believe it is 8.5 with 76 cc heads.
    64cc's will send the ratio trough the roof and the quench will be horrible. (as in none)
    The Vortecs flowed 239 the SR's 221 at .500" lift
    Bang fer the buck without swapping pistons the S/R's are the best buy.
    And for the cost of pistons to accomodate the heads....
    The Vortecs are great heads from what I have seen they just are not as versital as a set of heads that are offered in 76cc chambers.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

funny, every TBI head i've ever seen was 64cc. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

another funny thing, you say quench will be horrible. if you're swapping heads, that's the perfect time to fix that problem! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

19. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah, these are for tbi and they are 64 cc too /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hmm maybe my info is wrong, I was led to believe that the 285 + HP plants got the 64cc heads.
    And truck heads got 76cc's
    I just tore down an 88TBI plant and other than the piston and ring material pounded into the head they looked to be the same as my 993's with 75cc chambers.
    The pistons were the same size (stock dish = 0 quench)
    There is no quench with those pistons.
    That lil bit of piston head is not gonna do anything for that effect.
    There is nothing to squish against, the mixture just gets squirted out a big azz hole.
    Unless I was looking at some hybrid truck engine that magicly applied material to do this.
    I'll swing by and grab that head and measure it to put the matter to rest.
    I seem to remember the 64cc castings I was looking at having alot smaller chambers than the ones from the 88 TBI truck plant.

[ QUOTE ]
    GM Performance Parts Small Block Chevy TBI Cast Iron Cylinder Head. This is a good flowing head for use on fuel injected engines used from 1987-95. Originally this cast iron head was used on the 285hp 350 crate engine which is no longer available. This is an excellent head for increased performance on all TBI cars and trucks. Price is per head.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is a good flowing head for use on fuel injected engines used from 1987-95. Originally this cast iron head was used on the 285hp 350 crate engine which is no longer available

[/ QUOTE ]
    If that was stock in an 88 4x4 3/4 ton basic am radio glad ya got heat burb I got a hell of a deal.