Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best HEI timing setting for smog check?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by monster man, Oct 31, 2005.

1. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

what is the best setting in degrees for an HEI 350 4 barrel for a smog check?
    last year, the tech says I barely passed, I told him that the only thing I had changed was to an HEI ignition from a points setup, he told me my ignition was probably too far advanced, that HEI's don't like barely any advance. Before, my points were set at 8 degrees advanced, so this year I have it down to 6.5 degrees, and pretty lean, and she's running like crap. Well, not stumbling or anything but a pretty rough idle, and she dies when cold. Definitely smells very very lean, so it may pass, it may not.

But, is it true that HEI's are generally set closer to TDC than with points?

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think the timing is for the spark is in relation to the rotating assembly. It should not be matter if you have HEI or points. I'd make sure you have the same curve for the advance systems.

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

thanks- I'm not sure what the old curve was or the new, but they're both vacuum advance and I almost failed on the idle test, 2500 RPM was fine. So, I'm assuming he meant the initial advance was too far, so I retarded it a couple degrees, we'll see if that works

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

don't run it to lean if you run to lean you will fail as bad if you ran rich