Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best high speed Swampers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Feb 15, 2002.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Jun 13, 2001
    Just got back from an afternoon of running the gravel roads with my daughters in the 87 K5, and MAN am I tired of wheelhop on the washboard stuff. Yeah, I know, new suspension, body mounts etc. Give me time. And money. Any who, I've asked opinions on different Swampers before, but here's another concern. I've had regular Swamper radials before, but figured on SSR's or SX's when I go big (37's or 38's). How about some experiences running both these tires at high speeds on dirt and gravel. I'm in Illinois so boulder bashing isn't a concern. I figure if I get to where I can afford to go out to Moab or anywhere else with serious rocks, maybe I'll be able to afford and extra set of tires and wheels for that stuff. For around here I'd make my ride as good a handler as possible, along with being a mud runner and hill climber. Any input? Thanks.

Oh yeah, for what I'm talking about would you go with a full spring suspension or does the shackle flip handle OK?
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bigk on 02/15/02 04:41 PM.</FONT></P>
  2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Feb 2, 2001
    Well first off I would check you front steering components and all the obvious stuff like the steering stabilizer and such. Next I would ask if you have the ORD steering box Brace or Sway Bar discconnects/correction. Both will help with bump steer and such. Also I would look at how the drag link is on your setup. The first things aside... once you get into larger tires, I don't think there is a lot of hope of high speed performance. I mean there is no such thing as a good high speed swamper. You get into over 35's and they start wandering a bit. Add a wider tread like a TSL and worse go BP and they will start to grab every rut in the road and then some. Your best bet would be run a thiner tread pattern. MT's or SSR's I would think would be the best

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>
  3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Mar 21, 2000
    I have 35x14.5 SSR's and i personally can't wait to get rid of them. The only thing good about them that i can see is they are quiet. They are quieter than my buddies 33x10.50 AT's. Some people swear by them. I personally would get another tire. I wish i would have just got the regular TSL. I bought the SSR's cause i thought they would wear better, but they seem like any other swamper, just more expensive and less aggresive. - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs