Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best home defense gun

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Mar 27, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

just kinda thinkin about getting some sort of home protection. What would be better, a shotgun or hand gun? i think shotgun would scare the crap out of anyone but hand gun could be way easier to hide and pull out in an emergency... any tips? pros, cons?

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Re: best home defence gun

Mossberg 500, folding stock and all the goodies.
    That's what I have.
    Nothin says Aww sh!t like the sound of a 12 ga being chambered.
    1st round 7.5 shot the rest are 00 buck 3" shells.
    If the 1st round don't get yer attention 15 9mmm balls with each round will.

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

get a sawdoff shotgun best of both worlds /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I like my USP 40 with hydroshock bullets for home defence. from what I have heard they wont go far through dry wall. Im not real sure about it though and I kindof doubt it but if they dont they would be perfect for home defence because you cant hit anyone(like kids) behind walls.

Nick

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

For strictly home defense, a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, they are both pretty cheap in home defense models

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i'd say a nice glock would suffice. Easy to pick up in a second or two, compact if your having to walk around in the dark. An extra clip within easy reach....pow pow pow..... /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif...pow pow pow /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

**plus you can always take it on the trail..alot of pychos out there(especially in Kansas right now)
    ***AND should you be taken out /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gifyour wife/girlfriend can handle also. I think that is necessary to consider as well.

I had a tec 9 with 30+round clips(banned), now who needs accuracy with that baby. Too expensive to take target shooting though.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

defense? from what....robbers? osama?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

NOTHING beats a shotgun for a short range encounter.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah a .40 or a .45 would work well. Ruger is a good economical pistol. I have a 9MM and it always works. Shotguns are great, but sort of big to stash in a nightstand. IM me we could talk about guns for hours. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

lets just go to chat and talk there

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

GO TO THE CHAT AND talk guns /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

1911 .45 with laser and tactical light
    Bill

12. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sig Sauer P220, most accurate commercial .45 in the world.

I love my Sig. Been thinkin' about getting the wife a .45 Baby Eagle, though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GO TO THE CHAT AND talk guns /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    no ones here /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    thanks for all the info guys, i'm lookin at a few of the suggestions now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Sig Sauer P220, most accurate commercial .45 in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the H&K USP Expert in .45 would have something to say about that.

At any rate, I have 3 guns for defensive purposes...

1) Mossberg 500 12 ga. 18.1" bbl, 8 shot capacity, sling, sidesaddle shell holder, choate pistolgrip+stock.

2) H&K USP 9mm with Speer Gold Dot JHPs.

3) Preban CAR15 in .223. If 30 rounds of .223 won't fend off the invader, Im done for. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

guns for home defense are a good thing, home invasions are WAY up in my area... pretty scarry crap, bad guys dont even case the place to see if you're home or not like cat burglers used to. These guys (3-5 of em) just storm your house at 2 or 3am, armed, stealing everything they can and doing god knows whatelse. Pretty scary.... less so if you're armed and ready.

j

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I am going to get a Springfield Armory XP-40.

I would say to buy a handgun because you live in the PRK (peoples republic of kalifornia). If you lived in /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif I would say to buy a shotgun. In PRK handgun laws are getting worse and worse every year! If you put it off too long you won't be able to buy the one you want. Check out www.calguns.net for more CA specific info.

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Get a shotgun, your pretty much guaranteed(sp?) a hit as long as your pointing it the right direction. I have a few firearms stashed around the apartment for quick access.
    I've posted this before but:
    Back in January, two asswipes tried to rob my apt. It was 3am and they tried to pry open my kitchen window with a screwdriver. I woke up, grabbed my Winchester 12g w/ 00 buck. I ran outside screaming my head off and rested the barrel of the shotgun on the back of one of the dudes neck while the other guy was trying to talk me off of blowing away his friend. I was kinda shocked since they were my neighbors. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They kept saying they were sorry, one of them actually pissed himself. I told them if they had a death wish then come on back anytime they wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Probably shoulda at least shot 'em in the leg to make an example for the rest of the lowlifes in my complex. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a shotgun, your pretty much guaranteed(sp?) a hit as long as your pointing it the right direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no no no no no and NO!!!!!

next time you are at the range, bring your trusty 12ga and shoot a man-target from 4' and 8' away and check out the size of the pattern. Most home defense shooting will take place at somewhere in those ranges. Unless you have a illegaly-short barrel on your shotty, the pattern is not that large... and its VERY possible to miss a bad guy if you are just firing "in his direction". At 10m and up, sure, you can get a hella good pattern going that will make it easier to hit a guy, but how many places in your house allow you to shoot someone from over 30' away? Not many in my house...

no matter what type of weapon you are using, aim aim aim aim and AIM. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

btw, good job bushwacking the hoods tryin to break in. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

18. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

True dat! I guess I should mentioned that my 12 is sawed off to a 12" barrel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hey, it's not like I carry it around in the mall or something... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hmm, now that I think about it I've never shot the 00 buck through the sawed-off...would the pattern be bigger at close range with the buck or with a dove load type shell... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

why not one of each.couldnt hurt to have one hidden on each side of the house.or a handgun for when youve been sleeping and a shotgun for when your awake and ready to kill. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif