Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best home fabricated bumper designs?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Nov 25, 2001.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

So i ripped my front bumper of rock crawling. I was mad at the time, but i orginally built it for being a mud truck and it was way too big and way too obtrusive and had bad approach angles. Even though it looked really cool and tough. I'm looking to make something that will be my air tank for my york, hold 4 kc's, and just be really rugged. I want it to look good also. So lets see some crazy ideas here. I can build most anything, i'm just looking for ideas. So ya'll with those crazy ideas out there, let me see em. Thanks - Doug

Doug Krebs

2. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

How about the good ole 6" steele tube design?

<font color=red>Sure your Durango can go any place I can go, (if I hook a strap to it).</font color=red>

3. KrebsATM02

Ahhh nah, sorry not looking for the red neck solution, not meaning to offend anyone. Thats just too bulky for me, already had 4"x6" box. Did i mention i wanted it too look good? - Thanks Doug

Doug Krebs

4. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I have a custom home-built bumper on mine. Click on the coloradok5 members rides link below. I have new pics posted. It's the one with the 4 hellas on it.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

5. KrebsATM02

That looks pretty good, how sturdy are the ends where it gets thin?

Doug Krebs

6. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

So far its strong enough! I haven't bent it yet. If I were to do it again I would've gotten the 2x8 instead of the 2x6 square tube. That would've taken care of the gap that you see. I think the metal is 3/8" thick. the mounts are 1/4" thick. I paid $31 for all the steal and took my buddy and his wife out to dinner for helping me build it.

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Heres some pics of mine.It started out being 2x6x1/4 and 36" wide with a reciever in it .I was gonna make it an air tank but I got lazy.I recently added on the tubing.

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

This might help community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Click the link to either of my pages. Mines set up for a winch and I mounted it high. Never been a aproch problem. takes out 6 inch dia trees pretty well and what it does hit with the ramped section it pushes up and over till the wheels can get to it.center deck is 1/4 plate for the winch to mount on and the sides are 3/4 plate with Clevis holes bolted to the frame then the ends are 4x4 3/16 wall box. I have about a 10deg angle cut where it meets the center section and then the ends are cut at a 30 with caps on them that extend about another inch to give a little wrap around and hide the lower grill lip.
    Easily made to hold air and infact that was the design but my sliders hold as much as I need so I didn't bother to seal it. Rear is simular desgn but since it's doesn't need to handle a winch it's only 3/16 in the center.
    Debating on mounting my monster Boch lights to the bumper or put them behind the grill. at $90 each for replacement I want them protected so if they go on the bumper they will have a hoop over them with a epanded steel grill. Trails I run I catch a lot of branches. Need some protection.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm currently buliding mine out of 2x4x3/16 tubing with a reciever in the middle and 2 d rings. Probably going to end up hanging the tire off the back too dang it, so I need to re-engineer that. I like the slim profile and low weight of this size bumper anyway.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

11. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Tube bumpers can look real good if you make them correctly. Just need to put a little time into them, like everything else.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

12. 87superblaze

87superblaze 1/2 ton status

This might help. Needs a little fine tuning.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79>http://community.webshots.com/user/nicksm79</a>

It also has a different type of soft top that I made myself. Don't know if it is legal but who cares, I think it looks cool.