Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best IFS lift?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, May 21, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking instead of straight axle swap I am just gonna do the IFS lift thing. Anyone have opinions on what is the best IFS lift? I want 6" or 6.5". Thinking Dick Cepeck. Any idea on tire fitting? I know they are designed for 35s but I think with very moderate trimming I could do 37s. I hope anyway. Gonna swap out the rear for a 6 lug 14 bolt sf.

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

heres good ifs lift info. my buddy Trey had a 94 z71 with a 6in rancho lift and it held up extremely well with 36's. I swear that truck was almost never down for 4 years till finally one night he blew the engine in a mud hole. He had kept on the gas till the bottom of his door was like 2 in off the ground it was crazy that truck was huge. he could have ran 37's prob even 38's if i keep the ifs in ill prob end up doing that 6in rancho lift or a trail master. plus he had not broken any cv half shafts and when he went out to play in that truck it was hell on wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking I will go either Dick Cepeck or Trailmaster. Thanks for the info I really really want 37s on my daily driver. I think a nice set of 37 MT/Rs will be perfect for me. I never rock crawl or trail run just mud hole romping(even thats infrequent) so I think the IFS will work for me. If I find I have trouble it will be time to buy a K5 and build a trail rig.

4. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I have a 96 Tahoe with a 6" Pro-Comp lift. I run 15x10 Centerlines with 3 5/8" BS and 35x12.5 BFG AT's. I had to beat the front fender in about 1/2" right at the bottom. I have run 21 Road, Poison Spider, Golden Spike and even made t through the 'crack with no problems.

[​IMG]

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

so what your saying is 35s weren't a perfect fit? I don't really want to cut into the fenders. I was thinking like bumper trimming and all. How about wiht cut out flares think that would do her?

6. MOABDADC22

I did not have to cut the fender. I had to hammer the sharp edge off the bottom of the fender. It did not even crinkle the paint where I "massaged" it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got that and I do that to my fenders whether i think they will hit or not. Rubber mallet and a couple minutes will save some headaches later one. BUt I want to run 37s is my point.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Did your procomp kit have you turn the traction bars up? I want a kit that has absolutely no traction bar adjustment other than relocating with brackets and all. THat way I can maintain as factory a ride as possible or maybe adjust them up myself to get some more lift for 37s.

9. MOABDADC22

You mean torsion bars??? No, The kit came with the bracket to drop the T-bars. The pre-load is the same as stock now.

I did not read the part of your post about 37's. I am comfortable running 35's and IFS, but 37's would scare me. What ever you decide.....spend a few bucks and have it aligned when you are done. Saves tires and headaches.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

oops I was reading stuff about RCD's traction bars when I wrote that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif yeah I meant torsion bars. And yeah I planned to get an alignment. Not by pep boys though, my buddy took his 91 with 2.5" lift there and they couldn't even figure out how to adjust it casue they couldn't read their computers. And your comments on 37s is what I was expecting, oh well I will just run 35s. 35 MT/Rs on a daily driver should be plenty nice.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I would say a good 6" kit with 3" body lift would put you where you want to be.
    Try www.fullsizechevy.com

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thinking 2" not 3" body. Little body as possible. I have seen people run 38s with 3" body so 2" should get me 37s I think.

13. 89K1500Chevy

you got this truck yet or are you making plans for it? Im not sure what he did to that truck but his 6in susp had plenty of room for bigger then 36's he was running and it had no body lift on it. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not yet just making plans. Guy is suppossed to call me and tell me when to come get it. He said end of the week and that was last saturday so if I don't hear from him in a couple hours I am calling. And that guy probably had his torsion bars cranked up. I could get like 1.5" out of them but it will ride a lot rougher and throw off alignment a little bit. Get it aligned after the bars it would probably be alright. I think truckin suspension sells new keys that let you turn them up without adjusting the spring rate much. Not sure how the heck that works though.

15. Miller

Miller Registered Member

rancho makes some beefy ifs lifts.

but dont exspect anything more than 4" of reliable lift from them, cause thats all they are.

16. 89K1500Chevy

what you talking bout 4in of lift you get it in 4in or 6in they even have a 3in but i wouldnt do that stuff. its 6in of lift for me or nothing!unless its free! Im going to save up for a rancho 6in susp. lift and witht he 3in body on my truck i might go 38s i seen a Z71 wheeling with that set up before and it worked out good. but i might just go with 36's dont know yet got to get the 3 grande up for it first /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Actually both 4" and 6" rancho kits are 5 1/2". There the same kit.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am sure it is the same amount of lift from drop brackets then they instruct you to adjust the torsion bars for lift for the 6" kit. And thats what I don't want, I want stock torsion bar settings.

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well my buddy has the rancho kit and no tension on the t bars.

20. 89K1500Chevy

yeah but thats the cool thing bout it you can get 4in of lift or 6in of lift and i think when they designed the kit that they came up with a way to do that without making it a harsh ride like cranking on the tbars but it could be the case. Im used to the ride of my truck with the tbars tighted up a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif