Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Insurance for classic car

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hi pinion, Dec 3, 2004.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Alright. Im looking for some really cheap insurance for my old mustang .......i know...NOT a musclecar.... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ....anywho, who has really decent cheap insurance, and who do you use for coverage??? Does anyone use Haggarty? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

trust me from experience get full coverage on it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hagarty has an ad for like 350 a year, dont know what thats about. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. mudhog

i have no clue never even heard of them. just make sure you have full coverage in-case of theft or anything

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Alright. I only drive it on weekends, spin the tires, and fool around,then park it come sunday. Never on the weekdays, where I start from 8 am to 8 pm .......yes, i drove with no insurance, a couple times /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudhog

all I'm saying is make sure you have full coverage in-case anyone steels it or like what happened to me. i got into an accident his fault totally and he had no license or insurance i thought i had uninsured property damage (i do now) and they didn't give it to me because my vehicle was over 10 years old. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so i got screwed /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so make sure it don't happen to your classic and make sure you get as much coverage as you can. there are to many dumb asses out there without insurance /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i just got the car not too long ago. Id like to see what other people are paying, and who they use. I have full coverage on my other cars , i also have a commercial insurance i just paid today the full year 1200.00(full comercial ins) for my work van, its like extra coverage, so if i run into anything or hurt anyone for some reason, the coverage is up into the millions. Enoungh to cover anything. Its a good feeling. It just sucks, because i only drive the car on sat or sunday. They should have a saturday and sunday insurance plan /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hagarty is an Excellent company for classic cars.
    Probably 99% of the people on the Team Chevelle site use them and thats where I learned about them. They issue an "Agreed To Value" policy. Only real limitations are you cant race the car or use it for an everyday driver. They allow about 150mi/wk driving as "Casual" but you must show proof of owning One extra vehicle to show it isnt your daily driver.

I had a 16K policy on my ElCamino, was paying $275/yr for that including 100/300K coverage, theft etc. with "Zero" deductable. When it caught fire and burned, the repair shops quoted over 16K for repairs and they cut me a check, no questions asked, except if I wanted to buy the car back for $650.

I dont think theres a better company and the owner Will talk to you if you have an issue with them.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably 99% of the people on the Team Chevelle site use them and thats where I learned about them. They issue an "Agreed To Value" policy. Only real limitations are you cant race the car or use it for an everyday driver. They allow about 150mi/wk driving as "Casual" but you must show proof of owning One extra vehicle to show it isnt your daily driver.

I had a 16K policy on my ElCamino, was paying $275/yr for that including 100/300K coverage, theft etc. with "Zero" deductable. When it caught fire and burned, the repair shops quoted over 16K for repairs and they cut me a check, no questions asked, except if I wanted to buy the car back for $650.

I dont think theres a better company and the owner Will talk to you if you have an issue with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to this guy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is the best way to go for a weekend use only classic car /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] HEY THANKS!!!!!!!! THANKS ALOT!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Im going to ask again.......they gave you 16k? Is this correct? Just like that?? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thats purdy good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

13. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

When I originally filled out the paperwork for coverage I put "Value" at 10K. I sent the underwriter a link to My 71 ElCamino and got a call from them a few hours later saying they wouldnt insure my car for 10K. The min they would do it for based on their review was 16K. That pushed the price up to $295/yr.

When the fire happened I called them and they sent a contract appraiser out to look. His initial quote was $12.5K but recommended further teardown for eval. I told them what shop I wanted the car to go to and they sent a flatbed to pick it up. The shops appraisal was ~$18K (mostly due to labor charges and the shop restores classic cars) They called me back said they were going to total it, sent me paperwork to fill out, asked if I wanted to buy car back for $650, I told them yes, they said call someone and have it towed back to my house and send them the bill, they sent me a check for $16K.

I really kinda feel bad cuz I just switched insurance over to them in Sept 03, the fire happened in Aug 04, I paid $295 they paid $16k. I had only been with them for 11 months. If I had had my standard insurance on it would have been lucky to get $2200-2500 or low blue-book /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will second that motion. Hagerty is what I use for my Cuda insurance.

As far as qualifying the one catch I remember is that you can't have a speeding ticket for more than 10mph over in the last 3 or 5 years.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Cant you register it in your companies name and get a magnetic sign for it? Say you use it for advertisement.
    It should be covered under your company policy that way.