Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best large snow tire?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Oct 13, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am thinking ahead to my Suburban project. It will be my daily driver and it will start in Winter so I am gonna need some good tires for the snow. I was thinking 35x12.50 MT/Rs but I realized, no 16.5" rim option. The rims I have and really like are 16.5" rims. My other thoughts are 35" Mud Terrains and 35" A/Ts. Anything else a really good all around tire especially in the snow? Thinking I may just forget the 16.5" rims and sell them or something.

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I don't own them but BFG A/T's are *THE* best tire I've ever driven in the snow, and don't do bad in the mud. I don't think mud terrains will work as well in the snow. I want me a set of A/T's!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I hadBFG all terains on my Jimmy last winter, and it skated around plowed roads /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

The Goodyear Workhorse radial does pretty good in snow, has a semi-aggressive tread, and lasts a while. However, I don't think they make them larger than 33" diameter.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't own them but BFG A/T's are *THE* best tire I've ever driven in the snow, and don't do bad in the mud. I don't think mud terrains will work as well in the snow. I want me a set of A/T's!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved my BFG A/T tires in the snow. They did OK off road like any A/T tire and required a lot of wheel speed to clean themselves. If you get a mud tire, look at the Toyo's or maybe the new cooper ones, they seem to have a lot of siping and a really nice tread pattern. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

I had a set of Dunlop Mud Rovers when I was stationed in ND and they did great in 2'+ snow and they were O.K. in mud. just my .02

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

BFG Long Trails or A/Ts

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I have had 3 sets of BFG All Terrains and all were 31's. I liked them for snow and good for rigs that are used more on road than off. Good long lasting tread.

I have Radial Long trail TA's on my turd exploder now. They are 235 75 15's and have 50,000 miles and will still easily last me thru the winter this year.

9. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Id go with the T/A's

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have no specific brand or type preference--all I can say is if you want to go in the snow--go with tall skinny tires--I've tried using big tires like 36" Dick Cepecks and such--they got me stuck faster than you could say get the snatch strap!.I used 8.75x16.5 tires,old bias ply coopers with aggressive snow tire tread pattern,(they were nylon cord tires,felt like square wheels first 10 miles on a cold morning--but you could drive over curbs and other stuff without punturing them,they were like iron!)and I was not only pulling other trucks out of snowbanks,I could plow the snow that their trucks would just hit and slide sideways,because the wide tires climb up onto the snow and it floats all over the place,the skinny ones dig down to the pavement and pull you through.I like studded tires,around here we often get ice storms more than snow sometimes,being near the coast,but they dont seem to be as popular as they were years ago,getting hard to find,I like them on black ice--I have had some storms where I had to use tire chains on all four wheels!--not many trucks could outplow mine with those on it!. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I like the BFG AT's...the difinatly have a good tread design for the snow but I would want a skinnier tire for icey roads.

You might look into Hi Tec Retreading's green dimond tires. I beleave they have there 35's out now and the green dimond tread works almost as good as studs but is legal year round. Plus they are cheep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

after peeling tread on some retreads on my 2wd daily driver, I won't buy them.

13. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

The BFG ATs seemed to skate pretty bad on me too, and I had them in a 35x12.5x15 size.

14. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

bfg at's work well whatever you run you could add a little syping.

15. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about snow covered streets or off-road on fresh 6" plus snow covered roads? If it's just snow covered roads then you want a A/T that will allow plenty of places for snow to pack in. Snow sticks to snow so a tire with lots of siping will work better on snow packed roads. For deep fresh snow you can either get a w-i-d-e tire to float or a TALL tire to dig, but it has to be tall enough to hit bottom before your axles bottom out. If all else fails I put the chains on. 4 wheels locked up with chains will get you out of almost any snow.

16. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I thouhgt you were looking for a large tire?

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

the largest skinniest tire I know of is a 235x85 (its about 31.5" tall) or a 255 85. Their pretty skinny, about 8-9" wide. I'll be getting a set of the 285x75x16" MT with green diamonds next week so I'll let you know how they are. I know it will be kinda loud, but I dont know if it will bother me over the drone of my diesel.

18. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

No offence, sounds kinda like driver error....

Maybe they were bald?

Do you guys use sand or salt all up in 'dere? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

No offence tooken.
    They were not blad, they are 32" tall by 11.5 inches wide. And they still slipped. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

2 of the best tires I have ever seen in snow of any kind, icy roads, etc... were a set of 33x10.50 Swamper radials that were siped, and a set of the 36" Buckshot radials that were siped.
    Boggers and Ground Hawgs are the worst 2 tires I have ever seen on slick roads.