Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best lube for mechanical advance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Blue85, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I searched a lot on this and didn't come up with anything conclusive.

What is the best lubricant to use on on the mechanical advance section of the distributor? I tried white lithium, but it gummed up. I tried WD-40, but it dried up and left some gum. I heard a suggestion of graphite, but I'm not going to put something conductive in there. Currently, I am trying ATF.

What has someone used successfully? I am tired of cleaning this out every 4 months. Is it lubed from the factory or is it left dry?

I know it's stuck again when my idle roughens from too much advance.

Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe they are installed dry.

The black plastic(?) should allow the weights to slide across them. That is if I remember my non-EFI distributors right.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I use either engine assembly lube or CV joint grease. Both stick well and aren't real thick. Only takes a little bit of either.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There is no black plastic. I was actually looking for some bushings for the weights to pivot on and didn't find any in curve kits or rebuild kits. Where the bottom of the weight slides, that is metal to metal. Also, the two pieces at the top of the distributor shaft slide metal to metal. Dry is definately better than gummed up, but the key is keeping it clean.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

bushings..

I have used the plastic bushings that come in a MR.Gasket advance "curve kit" that has new weights and springs with the bushings in it--they fit stock weights too(you might need to drill out the holes if they are "egged" out!)...
    As for lubricant,I usually dont use any,I just wire wheel any rust off the weights and pins and re-assemble everything--I suppose you could use that silicone High Temp "Tune up grease" like they use under an HEI module and plug wire boots if you wanted--that wont conduct electricity like some other greases or vaseline might and cause a misfire... :crazy:

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

OK, that's an Olds/Chev difference then, I knew I had seen black plastic "bushings" in that location.

I've seen/used the weight pivot post bushings in the Mr. Gasket kits too.

7. Pow06er

Pow06er 1/2 ton status

hey blue could u post some pics? of ur k5