Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Method/Remove Outer Knuckles Dana 44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az88k5, Apr 11, 2005.

1. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I have read a lot of old posts on this subject and still haven't got them off. I read that you should remove the top ball joint nut. Then loosen the bottom ball joint nut and keep it on flush with top of the threads. This will keep the knuckle from falling on your toes. I have also heard it the other way around loosen top and remove bottom. I don't think this really matters. Just so it keeps it from completely falling off.

Now this is my main concern. Witch method is better. I have heard three different methods that eventually work I guess. Non have work for me yet. I want to know the proper and best method.

• Use pickle fork to separate the knuckle from axle yoke. I tried separating from the top ball joint. Should I try the bottom too or does it matter.

• Use BFH to whack top of knuckle. I tried this on the passenger side knuckle. Driver side has the three studs.

• Use BFH to hit the top of the ball joint with old nut threaded on flush to the top of ball joint. Helps if you do not want to damage and reuse the ball joint. In my case i will be replacing them.

What is your best Method.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used a pickle fork and a 3lb sledge. Worked fine for me. You can get the works for $10-15 at the local parts stores.

Harley

3. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I have all the Tools to do the job. Just need advise. I thought that would be the best method.

Imagine the axle under my truck in witch direction did you inset the pickle fork, from the rear, side, or the front. And did you only need to seperate from the top ball joint.

Chris

4. ssls6

ssls6 Registered Member

I did mine from the bottom-front. I pickled the hell out of it and it came off. Top nut removed, soaked in PB blaster, bottom nut flush as you stated.

5. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well if you are replacing the balljoints..just take off both nuts and whack the upper balljoint with a 3-5 lb sledge. Only take a couple times and it should fall out. :D

6. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

X2 :D