Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? BEST MODS TO A 700R4 FOR "HEAVY TOWING"?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

? BEST MODS TO A 700R4 FOR \"HEAVY TOWING\"?

I HAVE A 2WD 88 CHEV TRUCK AND AM GOING TO BE TOWING A 2,000 POUND CAMPER PLUS A 6,000 POUND TRAILER, I AM PUTTING IN A MOTOR AND WHILE THE TRANNY IS STILL WORKING I WANT TO GIVE IT A HEAVY DUTY REBUILD FOR TOWING. I KNOW WHAT YOUR THINKING
    WHY NOT GET A 4L80E. I DONT HAVE THE CASH RIGHT NOW. SO HOW WOULD YOU BUILD A 700 FOR THIS.????

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

Re: ? BEST MODS TO A 700R4 FOR \"HEAVY TOWING\"?

<font color=blue>Why not use a TH400? The only advantage of a 700R4 is the OD and you cant tow with that anyway.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

JET Performance, B&M, TransGo all have rebuild kits for the do it yourselfer, and since most of these do not have instuctions for the 700, get one of the 700 rebuild videos out of the back of Hot Rod mag. All these kits, address the major issues of the 700R-4. Some go further, but I belive they all have extra clutch packs, reformance friction material, corvette servo, and the likes. Most of these hits are in the $150-$300 range. You can get more info at JET and B&M. Also a stage one shift kit and the biggest tranny cooler you can fit are a must.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Also I forgot that B&M has a towing ,RV 700R-4 for a very reasonable price.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You probably already know this, but make sure you install a heavy-duty auxilliary tranny cooler while you're at it.........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

MMMMM.....MMMMMMM!!!!! OK, I won't start!!!!! :)

ken

7. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

I would get yourself a bigger trans pan that will hold 2 extra quarts of tranny fluid, and possible another tranny cooler. A new trans pan will cost you between 80.00 to 120.00 bucks depending on the pan you get. Mine is cast aluminum with cooling fins and a drain plug. It cost me 120.00 bucks. But I think it was worth it. And i will get another tranny cooler. Just my opinion. Later LittleJimmy.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'm with Chris (and Ken too...[​IMG]) lose the 700 R4 and drop in a TH400. Its budget friendly and won't leave you on the side of the road...
    By the looks of it your Gross combined wieght is going to be around 12,000 lbs. I really would not trust ANY 700 R4 to live with that for long!
    Just my humble opinion.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My friends got a 90's vintage chev truck, (maybe '92?) with the 4L60(might be electronic...either way its still a 700) and tows his race car over the Cascade mountains, and all around the hilly Westeran Washington area on a 3000lb trailer (car probably another 2000lbs at least) about 15 times a year. He has had NO problems with it, and has done NO mods to it. As well as driving it every day to work.

What I would suggest is to install EVERY part that is an upgrade from GM, and other "upgrades" that reputable 700 builders recommend. Big cooler will not hurt, but my friend doesn't have one of those either, unless it was factory.

The 700 is a good tranny, just has to be built right, and the later the 700, the better it is. GM only improves things that it HAS to, nd of course, the longer these things were on the road, the more bugs got worked out to prevent warranty returns

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

10. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

You can swap in a TH350 fairly cheap. I'v seen ads for swap + a fresh TH350 for $600.00, most of the built 700R4's I have seen go for around $1200.00. If your set on a 700R4, I would use a heavy cooler and synthetic oil. I think the new GM trucks are comming with synthetic trans fluid from the factory now.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

11. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Best thing would be to go TH400 here if you want a long life span. Otherwise a 700 can be beefed up pretty good, but don't get a kit for it and do it yourself... building a good 700 is tricky, even fro the pros (heck the one in my truck the puked only had 40k on it). Drop the tranny out and take it to a good tranny shop. Get the extra clutches and all the updates done to it (which they usually do anyways) Probably get 3rd gear modified to shift in quicker, but make sure 2nd is modified accordingly to release quicker or it it will bind and you'll burn up 2nd... also would be wise to upgrade items like the shell and sprag to more hd components, then of course a big cooler.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI