Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best motor for replace 350 TBI 1987

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by keevy, Apr 27, 2005.

1. keevy

keevy Registered Member

What is the best motor for replace broke 350 Tbi 1987 price

Thanks

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Another 350. Depending on where you get it, a remanufactured block will run you anywhere from $800 to $1500, for a stock motor, all the way up to $5000 for a little more beef...

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what do you mean..... stock replacement or best motor powerwise?

If your block is good you can get a 230 hp tbi 350 built at one of your local dealers for 800-900 bones...

gm also sells good crate motors and the best price for power is the gm goodwrench 350's...

jegs has all of the gm crate motors if you can get your hands on a catalog or go to www.jegs.com and go to motors.

also theres a site with some tbi 350's that some members bought motors from but the power ratings seem way too high for the motors they are matched up to. still would have plenty of power just hard to beleive some of his combinations make that kind of power... im sure somebody will post up with the link.

4. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

5. mtrdrms

mtrdrms 1/2 ton status

My 87 350 was getting tired so I had it rebuilt. I wanted to keep the TBI setup rather than go carburated. My local machinist rebuilt it with all the goodies and balanced it for about 3200. I love this motor now and I am really glad I kept it.

6. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Phoenixzorn: yeah, i searched for it but for some reason i thought it was tbichevys.com

there is a reason why the 350 is the most popular motor ever made.

everybody and his brother has put one in something but theres plenty of things you can do to set you apart from the crowd and make some power.

If you are cheap like me then ebay is a good place to go for parts and in some cases motors but be weary of getting screwed on ebay when it comes to motors... I did my looking on ebay for 3 months and took my damn sweet time in finding a builder with 3000 feedbacks almost all on motors and even talked to a few of his buyers and him on the phone. Also his ad said he wanted whoever was going to buy it to see it and hear it run so they know it was the real deal. Soon as i knew it was all legit and heard it i put down $1535 and never looked back... spent $350 on a new holley 670 cfm tbi, $150 for an accel high pressure pump, $200 for the holley 2" tbi manifold, $200 for headers and y pipe, $120 on a 2400 stall converter, and am about to spend another $600 on a prominator, labtop, and custom wideband O2...

I wanted respectable power on a budget and went higher then i wanted to but in the end i will be glad i did.

330-350 hp, 400 ft lbs tq. with fuel injection for $3215. Not bad IMO.

here is the link to my motor. http://members.cardomain.com/dirtwarrior17

You have alot of options when it comes to the sbc.... just depends on how deep your pockets are.

In my case my mom paid for 2k and i paid for the rest but i still have to pay her off :crazy:

7. keevy

keevy Registered Member

There is a crack between cilinder 1 and 2 can it be fixed?

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't have knowledge on motor repairs like that but it seems to be the general consensus that when a block is cracked especially right through the middle that it is a lost cause.

you will just end up paying a couple hundred more depending on what the core charge is.

9. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I'm planning a GMPP HT383 swap for my 350 TBI, so I guess that would mean I think it's the best replacement. BTW I'm keeping the TBI or going MPEFI. $4K for engine $2-3K for everything else that's getting swapped out at the same time.

10. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

If you are on a tight budget, find a remanufactured block at your local parts store (they can usually get them for as little as $800.00 for the short block) and then put in what you want... Summit Racing sells entire engine kits that pretty much slide in and bolt on if you have a short block for them to sit in. One can be had that makes over 300hp and 350ft lbs for under 1800 if memory serves... I'd tell you for sure, but I don't have my catalogue sitting in front of me.

I got my engine from 350chevys.com ... like dirt said, there are many options and ways to go. 350chevys.com while slow, was very understanding, and took their time in answering each of my questions so I knew what I was getting. I ended up getting their lowest model carbed engine, and now I'm wishing (for the extra $200.00 it would have run me) that I had just gotten the bigger power engine.

By the way, they also have 2 or 3 varieties of each Carbed and TBIed 350s, carbed 383s, as well as the ultimate engine, the $8000 Fuel injected monster 350, which puts out a wonderful 440 horsies and an equivalent amount of torque.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

A short block already has internals (pistons,crankshaft, etc)... just no heads or manifold. I don't know if they come with oil pump or cam but i know they have pistons, crank, and rods. Might be different for some shops tho.

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I know i already told mini mull about em but turnkey engine supply makes a number of smog and non smog legal 6.0l and 5.7l motors that are iron or aluminum block with real good power and all they need is a truck to be dropped into. they come with 6 bolt mains, mpfi, over 100 pounds lighter than a sb and even more if you get the ls1, and are completly tuned and turnkey. they even come with their own computer. all you have to do is literally drop it in hook a few things up and enjoy the rumble.

they have a smog legal 4x4 package for an iron block 6.0l with 345 hp and 380 ft lbs. they also have a nonsmog legal iron 6.0l with 392 hp and 426 ft lbs. both motors come with vortec aluminum heads.

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/60iron.html

or you can have something nobody else has and get an ls1(aluminum block, aluminum head) with 390 hp and 420 ft lbs.

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/57390.html

those two motors were more in mini mull's price range but still a good choice.

If i had the money i would get the non smog legal 6.0l with 392 hp and 426 ft lbs or get a beast of a 400 built then add edelbrocks mpfi package.

what kind of money are you looking to spend?