Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Nov 14, 2005.

?

What do you think is the best oil filter?

1. A/C delco

30.6%
  2. Wix

42.6%
  3. Fram

14.8%
  4. other (tell what it is and why)

12.0%
  1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

about to change the oil again and i wanted to get everyones general opinion on the best oil filter. what do you run and why. ive heard good thigns about both ac delco and wix and im starting to here more bad about fram because tehre made of paper elements that break down. if anyone has any light to shed on that it would be great
    if you got anohter filter you like tell me. thanks alot

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I run Wix filters. I cut the filters apart after draining and learned a long time ago that I don't like Fram. Wix, AC Delco and a few others are good but a lot of the others are pure junk.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I know its filters for Subaru but I have to give this guy credit where credit is due. Looks like for the money, Purolator filters are hard to beat. Take a look at the Excel file and pics to see for yourself.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/sti/oil/filters/

Another study:
    http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

And another:
    http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
    And another:
    http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Happy reading! :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

top 3 are wix / acdelco / and purilator premium.

napa and carquest and someothers are wix just stamped the brand that thay want. look at the napa # and take off the 2 in the silver line and its a wix #

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Donaldson nano fiber filters are #1 IMHO. Amsoil filters are #2. Caterpillar also makes excellent filters...but the applications don't really apply to most of us. Personally, unless it's a really HI-PO engine, or it's operated in really nasty conditions for extended periods of time without service, I just stick to the good old AC Delco. I feel like it's a good filter at a good price. Purolator is my filter of choice for non GM applications.

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

after reading those articles wix, ac delco and purolator sound about as good as they get. hmmm i guess whichever o'reillys has in stock and isnt too expensive will be my choice. guess that next oil change might come alittle sooner

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Tried them all..

I use Wix,AC-Delco,Purolator,or Baldwin filters as a rule..I'd only use a Fram as a last resort,and not on my vehicles!..the WIX factory rep came to the parts stores I worked at,and took other brands of filters we also sold,and cut the "can" off with a pipe cutter!..

I was amazed at the lack of filtering media in the Fram,with only a peice of string around the circumfrence of the filter to help it keep its shape!..the Wix filters have anti-drainback valves on many ones Fram does not,and they use a "leaf spring" dewhicky to hold the paper media under tension ,whereas the fram just had a rubber insert...for all the fancy "anti-slip" coatings,and high dollar advertising Fram does,its evident that all their money goes into marketing,more than actual product quality..--

But if you change your oil every 3000 miles like your supposed to,I don't think ANY filter will give you any greif..might allow a bit more wear from letting bigger specks of dirt through..I think money is well spent on good quality filters,and oil too..cheap is nice at first,but can bite you in the butt if you keep the vehicle a long time..

We sold "Champ" filters too,and despite being a "bargain" brand that cost 2 bucks less,they were actually a pretty good quality!..I ran Champ filters (who also makes Baldwin too I'm told) on many of my trucks,and never had any problems.."Group 7" filters we sold too--they were a bargain brand made by Purolator..not too bad for quality too..

I'm guilty of using the "Hencho En Mexico" "Value Craft" ones from autozone lately,since money is scarce now--but I don't like doing that....also "STP" and whatever brand Autozone had before they went to Bosch and the "Value Craft" ones..even the AC-Delco ones I bought recently for my 305 and 6.2 were made in mexico now,(so I wonder if they are still as good?)--and they changed the number from PF30 to PF1218 or something on the 305 one??--why,after 30+ years,they had to change the number,makes no sense to me.. :confused: :crazy:

8. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

crap! :doah: guess ill be changin my oil tomorrow. cant have my engine blowin up cuz of some crap filter. gotta make that baby last.
    thanks for all the info guys keep the votes coming.

9. dallassnowman

dallassnowman 1/2 ton status

which ones are good for the 6.2 diesel????

10. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

o ya forgot mine is a tbi 350 with 187k miles on it. gotta love perfect compression!

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've run a mix of Fram/Honeywell, Motomaster, and Purolator over the years on my vehicles, and my Dad's. Oh... add LuberFiner to the mix as of late.

My choices are mostly related to price, and what's available after normal business hours. :o

I haven't had an engine go south on us since I started changing oil. ;)

12. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

fram are cheap pieces of ****(IMO anyway) there is nothing to them if u cut them open and compare to other filters

13. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Hey, if them boys making 200 left turns at 200 mph use Wix, I think they are good filters...I use mainly Delco and Wix but recently tried one of the Purolator PureOne filters. The jury is out until I change the oil again...

14. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Haven't heard much about the K&N filters. I cut one apart and was happy with what was inside. It was dirty and seemed to trap a lot of nasties and have a good amount of surface area. And I especially love the 1" nut on the bottom, makes changes easy. Any other thoughts?

15. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I use Wix filters, more like brand loyalty than anything else. I know wix oil filters are good, so I use wix air filters, fuel filters, etc.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

well...

Like I listed before--Wix,AC-Delco,Purolator,and Baldwin are the 4 brands I trust most (though AC-Delco is not as high on my list now that its no longer made in the USA).. I figure all my vehicles have at least 100,000 miles on them,and who knows WHAT brand the pevious owners used,or if they even bothered to change the oil regularly period??--so why get too anal about filters and oil,when untold damage could have been done long ago by previous owners!

My 79 C10's 305 motor came from an 86 G10 van owned by a cable TV company! :eek1: --the diesel's 6.2 is a boneyard refugee of unknown vintage and mileage(supposedly 80,000 miles,but I have my doubts!)..my Ford Contour has 133,000 miles,and I've never changed the oil yet,nor do I even
    know where the filter IS,or what # it takes!--only had it since march,and have driven it only about 1200 miles so far! :doah:

If I had a brand new or late model vehicle,I'd be much more fussy about who's filter and what brand of oil I'd use (and synthetic would probably be my choice of oil)..but for all my older beaters,they should be thankful I change the oil and filter period,and which brands I use is based more on price than anything else..

I can buy Wix or AC-Delco filters on sale for about 1-2 bucks more than the cheapies,so I use them,and Shell Rotella 15W40 oil in the 6.2..sometimes I buy 5 gallon pails of it and use it in both my trucks..the car I'll use 5w-30 or whatever it says too..I use 10w30 in the 305 mostly..now that I think about it--ALL of them need an oil change! :doah: --I havent gone 3000 miles in any of them,but its been many months since the last one..-I'd say the diesel is the one that needs more frequent oil changes than any of them,it soots up fast in a diesel.. :crazy:

17. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

18. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Registered Member

Been using K & N
    I like the hex nut on the bottom.
    I've not cut one apart yet but so far
    I just figured - good air filters = good oil filters.
    maybe pretty stupid on my part but it hasn't bit me yet:thinking:

19. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

if AC Delco carries a filter for the car, i run that, if not, Wix.
    yeah, wix is probably better, but costs a couple dollars more, and delco works just fine.

Fram is garbage. i cut a used one open and compared it to a used delco. the fram is glued together with CARDBOARD, and it had started to come unglued, and the cardboard was falling apart! never again will i buy a fram oil filter.

20. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I use NAPA Gold, which is made by Wix.