Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best oil for high mileage engine?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Oct 6, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

I just got a Suburban with 160K on it. What's the best oil to use in a motor like this? I haven't had a chance to see if it burns any yet. If it does, any suggestions on oil additives? It does do the typical blue puff when you first fire it up, valve guides, I know. Thanks.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Valvoline makes a special oil for higher mileage engines like yours. Its come in a red bottle. I suppose I'll give it a whirl next change because I'm about to hit 100,000.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran the "extended life" oil in my Dads F*rd. The only thing it did was burn more oil than before. I think this was due to the fact that it is a partial synthetic, and it slips past the rings easier then normal oil.

4. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

I've heard of the nightmares of rebuilding an engine after using Marvel Mystery Oil, though I have never rebuilt one after it's use.

My K5 currently has a 307 which has BLOWN smoke since the day I got it. Have tried Smoke-B-Gone among many other additives to stop smoke, with no real results.

Soon to replace the 307 with a 350 I'm rebuilding, I decided to give the Marvel a try. Walla!... the K5 is no longer a mosquito fogger.

I don't know whether I'd use it in a motor you'd want to rebuild, but I'd heard the praise of the life giving qualities of Marvel since I was a kid just starting to drive. Though I had never used it before, knowing the condition of this 307, I am impressed. Even added a bit of power, I'm sure due to the sealing of rings, seals, etc.

Don't know what your plans are for your motor, but this 307 is heading for the boneyard as soon as the 350 is finished, and I see the results the Marvel did for it. Just my .02 worth.

www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm

5. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

Mobil one syntec!!!!

as far as the valve seals.....sea-foam, if you can find it!

Most overheard question in the Carolinas...................."Randy who"????

6. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

also use WIX filter or the NAPA gold, supposedly the smae thing.

Most overheard question in the Carolinas...................."Randy who"????

7. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Sea-Foam is great stuff. Totally cleaned out my old Oldsmobile, and lots of guys in my old car club used it with good results.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

what is sea-foam?? BTW with my 226k mile 400 i was told 20w50 oil to help the old tired rings seal better...have not tried it yet....
    -zakk

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

9. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I run 20w-50 in all of my trucks...only one of which has over 100,000 miles....just does the trick for me and i have had many of mechanics tell me they have had 350's specifically run 250,000+ using 20w-50 now i can get away with this down here in south louisiana because of the heat it still makes the 20w-50 flow smoother because of all the heat but I also find it doesnt break down as quickly. The winter is a different story...kinda like cold sludge, until it heats up its pretty thick, does the trick for me though i think up north you'd have more problems with this oil in the winter...

I also add marvel mystery fluid to my engine at every oil change with no harmful effects, actually last time i pulled the valve covers on my 350 with just under 10,000 miles everything still looked good as new also with my 350 with 35,000+ So i can't really see any nightmares about it....i think the things people find are other additives....

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run 20w50 in my jimmy and burb. The jimmy motor has 30,000 miles and the burb has 58,000 miles. In my firebird I run straight 50 weight and the motor only has 3,800 miles on it. Always run a thicker oil when a car gets alot of miles on it, or you put it through hell. I break down the straight 50 weight in my firebird every other week in race season.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. Tatman

Tatman Registered Member

The Marvel Mystery Oil nightmares I was told about was something about a glaze on the cylinder walls and such. Supposedly it is hell to bore or hone. Like I said, this is my first time using it and it worked wonders for the smoke problem, but have never seen for myself what these guys were moaning about.

www.saddletramps.com/BlazerK5.htm

12. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

If It only pisses off the guy at the machine shop but helps high mileage cars &amp; trucks I going to start using it on all my vehicles

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

So how much of this Marvel Mystery Oil are you supposed to add to the crankcase. My wife's old Safari has 117K on it and smokes on startup only, and only when cold.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Valve guide seals are easily replaced. I'd bet a novice could do it in 2 hours or less.

Synthetic anything is going to both burn and leak more. The molecules are smaller and will find any leak.

As far as oil for a well worn engine, just find something thick, but not too thick for the weather. 20W-50 summer, 10W-40 winter.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

15. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

MOLYSLIP!!! www.
    90 percent of the additives out there have teflon in them which gums up your motor. I do torque tensioning with hydrolic whrenches at work. on my enginering table of torque with different lubricant's, Molybdenum Disulfide takes first place.[ MOLYSLIP] It goes from moly to chain oil and it takes a third of the ft-lbs to get the bolt tension with moly.
    If you get a cracked head and you had molyslip in it, you would have a chance in catching it because moly gets in the surface of the metal and won't break down from the antifreeze&amp;water. I have sold many of lemon's with this [censored] in them and have never had them come back on me. I would never buy a car with this [censored] in it because it masks so many problems because of the loss of friction it creates. They would have to change the oil without it and let me see the car running up to temp. You can't put it in a new or rebuilt engine until it has been broken in because your rings won't seet and it will [censored] up. So anyways remember that most of the other additives are pritty much just normal heavy oil with teflon in them and if you ask teflon if they really endorse this you maybe in for a shock! lol

16. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

20w-50!!!! 10W-30 was cooked, 10W-40 had to be topped off, and 20W-50 loves the heat!

17. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

This may be contrary to what most people think, but I have run Pennzoil 10W-30 in all my vehicles for as long as I can remember. I live in VA and it get's pretty hot. As a testament I have an 89 S-10 blazer with the 4.3 and we have 287,500+ miles on it using nothing but 10W-30. I know this is the orig motor b/c I have owned it since new. I towed a 3500lbs boat in the summer heat 95+ for 2 years. No problems.

I can see if you live in AZ or lower TX going to a higher weight oil, i.e. 20W-50 but if you live where it gets cold at all you could be doing more damage in the winter than in the summer.

Just my thoughts,
    John

<font color=blue>"When all else fails, read the instructions, or get a bigger hammer"</font color=blue>

18. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

My old tired 400 has about 190k miles on it. I recently started running Valvoline Durablend in it. It definately helped the motor. I swear by synthetics now. My motor used to smoke and ran crappy, but just a change in oil types helped me. Get a semi-synthetic or fully synthetic if it doesnt use much oil. Oil pressure was improved, no more light haze of smoke from the rings.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>

19. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Stay away from the Valvoline "MAX LIFE"!!!
    Put it in my Jimmy 215k and it smoked so bad the guy behind me couldn't see!!!!!
    wen't back to 20w50 and it still smokes but not nearly as bad.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>