Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Oil?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by klebmorris, Dec 9, 2002.

1. klebmorris

klebmorris Registered Member

I am curious to know what you guys believe is the best motor oil for a 6.2 L with over 75,000 miles. One guy recommended Chevron's Delo 400 to me. What do y'all use? Has anyone tried any of the Max life products out on the market? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I can tell you that at Caterpillar engine development we used Chevron Delo. However, I think Rotella, Delo, and Delvac will all work equally good.

3. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use Rotella T 15W-40. I have heard Amasol is a good oil, but haven't had the change to try it myself.

4. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

I've used Rotella 15W40 and am using Penzoil 15W40 without any problems.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

You got some responses here, I use Rotella, and if you want more do a search, there was a thread 2 months ago that had all the pros and cons of each oil used and change intervals too.

6. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Any diesel rated oil with the latest rating of CF-4 is fine for use. Don't use any oil if it doesn't carry the C (for compression ignition) rating.

I use Rotella T myself, it's one of the most widely used diesel oils out there.

Casey

7. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I use Rotella T as well and I like it.
    Mike

8. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

You hit the nail right on the head. To many people use oil that is not rated for a combustion engine.

If memory serves Rotella is produced by Shell right?

Some once told me that Rotella poured easier than Dello, but the story went that it was -40 outside. Not sire if that was true or a just another line the parts store guys try and feed ya.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I run Mobil Delvac 15W-40. Used to run Rotella T. I use the Mobil because I can get it in 2.5 Gallon(10 quart) containers at the local Meijers. Cummins holds 12q, backhoe holds 10q. When I had a 6.2/6.5 "only" took 8 qts and 2 1 gal jugs of Rotella T fit the bill.

Those empty Mobil jugs work great for waste oil. Plastic doesn't break down and has a large opening too dump the oil. 5 gallon gear oil pails are a pain, too much weight and too small hole to drain fast enough.

10. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

The best- Mobil Delvac 1 is one of the best. Do a search on it and you will see it's pretty good. Also, try Bobistheoilguy. It's a great site on oil.
    BTW, Wallmart has Shell Rotella T 5W40 syn. for 13 bucks a gal.. It ain't as good as Delvac but it ain't too shabby.