Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 15, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

for a mild 350 thats never had synthetic which oil would you run? I was thinking about rugular valvoline then durablend valvoline and also castrol GTX I dont really want to spend much more then $2 a qt but what do yall think?

Also Ive hear that if your motor dident always have synthtic its really bad to put it in is this true?

2. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

How many miles are on this engine?

If it has over 50K, then I would run any of the major manuf. regular/NON-synthetic. Save the money that synthetic would cost and buy yourself some good beer to drink while you change your oil.

If you are going to switch to synthetic in a high mileage vehicle, a really good engine flush is the best way to go.

Not just the flush/kerosene that you buy and do yourself, but hooking the engine up to a flush machine and then removing/cleaning the oil pan to get as much sludge out as possible so that the new synthetic oil doesn't break it loose and gum up something important.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so that the new synthetic oil doesn't break it loose and gum up something important

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that's what the job of an oil filter was for. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

ok thanx Would yall say castrol GTX is better the regular valvoline?

5. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i've ran Valvoline 10 - 30 for years now and i've never had any problems with it.

6. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Havoline 20-50 in every vehicle I own... Never had a premature failure of an engine and I have a tendancy to run my engines hard...

I have about 2K miles on my new build and will be going to full synthetic around the 10K mark... gotta get those 5 extra ponies /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

castrol GTX here in the 99 blazer, cheapo high-mileage in the yota...and will be running castrol high mileage in the k10 until the new motor..i like castrol.. but motorcraft's free..LOL

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also Ive hear that if your motor dident always have synthtic its really bad to put it in is this true?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a load of BS.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I run Chevron Delo. Its the stuff in the blue bottles that come in 4 quart sizes. Its some of the best damn oil I have ever seen.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

break in on organic...first 1,000 then change, then at 4k go to synthetic i heard...

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

My 350 has about 100k on it (rebuilt) and has never seen synthetic until I got ahold of it. I run Amsoil. I think its the best oil put there, period, and the first synthetic oil on the market (1972).

Will

12. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Whoa good timing i just gave my truck its 2nd oil change since the break in. First 500 miles was reg. oil but then went to Mobile 1 full synthetic 10-30 so now its on its 2nd batch of it and its running even stronger then it was. I love this street beast sounds so badass Lopey idle. In my 4x4 i run Havoline always have since we put the new motor in it a while ago still running strong. I switched from 10-30 to 10-40 and it seems to do better on it.

13. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

when I bought my heads I called and talked to the guys at trick flow and they told me not to run synthetic until after the engine had been broken in some, between 6 & 10 thousand miles. Apparently full synthetic is too slippery and wont allow the valves to seat in the guides and a few other things that I cant remember... Anyway, they did suggest that I definitely do run synthetic (as well as throw away the stock exhaust manifolds that I use) after a while to get the best performance and protection. He also said to change the first batch of synthetic between 500 - 1000 miles after the switch. apparently helps get the remaining dino-grease outta the system.

-Ryan

14. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Havoline oil in my opinion is a very good non synthetic oil to run in any vechile. I have ran it for over 12 years in everything I run down the road and never have had any mechanical failures yet. Just my opinion on a good oil., /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif