Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best Option?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Sep 24, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was crawling around under the truck checking for loose parts cos I've been hearing an annoying popping sound whenever I hit a bump,or rut, etc.....Anyway, on the left side, the bracket for the leafspring, where the bracket is connected to the frame, it has a busted rivet, I think this is where the pop is coming from, there is a small gap and shiny metal. My question is, is it acceptable to put a grade 8 bolt and nut in there? Or is there a stronger option? Take it easy, have a good night.

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would think yes. If you look at the ORD shackle flip kit on Steves K5 you'll see they removed the rivets holding the original shackle bracket and replaced them with grade 8 bolts for the new bracket.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey man, are you sure thats a rivet? When I replaced my springs and upgraded to the ORD shackles, it was just plain old nuts and bolts that held it on. Stock was Grade 8 and ORD sent out Grade 8 bolts, so that is the way to go.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Well dangit. I thought you were talking about the frontend for some reason. YES they are rivets in the back and a Grade 8 bolt will be OK.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Yeh, I am talking about the front end, wish I wasnt, I tried to punch the top half out and it won't budge, I guess I'll keep on banging , it beats replacing ball joints!! Thanks for the replies!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim