Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

best performance engine???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by madups311, Jan 5, 2002.

1. madups311

madups311 Registered Member

What do you think is the best performance engine for the price I'm trying to save money under 3k, and does anybody know if I will need to purchase other things while doing the swap????

1979 Jimmy 4" skyjacker, add-a-leaf, 35" M/T's, Body Lift purchased.
    2001 Pathfinder LE Mile Marker Winch

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

define performance

formerly 77chev

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.asrengines.com/sbc.htm>http://www.asrengines.com/sbc.htm</a>

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

4. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

What are your objectives? How fast do you want to go? Fuel economy important? Towing? RPM ranges, cruising, city, hiway? What do you now have for power? Is this a major swap or just a bolt in? All questions that you need answers to before I could give you difinitive answers. You can buy GM crate engine as cheap as $1300, add a cam, manifold, carb and a few add ons and you're almost there for less than $2000. You want more speed and power, it'll cost more. I bought a complete 427 BBC, set up for max torque with Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley carb, new alluminum water pump and all pulleys for less than $2100. Got most of parts off eBay and carefully shopped for bargains. 780cfm Holley carb was 22 years old and in original box and cost me $75 plus $29 for rebuild kit. You can find bargains but you have to know what you're buying and know the market price it's worth.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

5. madups311

The one in particular that I am looking at is a Crate 350 HO roughly 2,150$$ and puts out 330/380 definately adequate, but I am interested in hearing what else is out there, preferably a built small block that can do similar in performance like that mentioned above....what I have now is a stock engine and specs and I would like to run 39.5X16X16.5 boggers in less than 6 months, and I would like to start with a killer engine

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I really like my 350 HO. It runs great and is good on gas.
    You can still spend alot on extras if you want or just try to get by on what you can. They come with Vortec heads so a new manifold is a must. I had a hard time putting old parts into mine so here is a few of the new parts I used:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/16887872/16889179MMyjkcIRAx
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/16887872/16892096CfOHSjbsvx
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/16887872/16896324exvUGWNqKo
    and this was only some of the things.
    Good luck, it's a hard decision and even harder not to spend the extra cash.
    Dave

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"8" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

7. madups311

Thanks for the info.... one more thing i was wondering ...Can it be fuel injected or just carb.?

8. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

fuel injection means computer controls, more $$, sensory relays and better gas mileage. Carb means basics, less fuel economy usually, and harder cold starts. Take into account how often you drive your truck and what you use it for. If you can afford it, the fuel injection is more reliable, better power response, and more economic usually. Also you mentioned BIG tires, so you will need alot of torque. and with big torque you usually get ample amount of HP as gravy. Gears are also very important for the tire size you mentioned. If I were looking at your proposed setup, I would go with a- 406ci w/ 9.5:1 compression, around a .265 or so duration/ &amp; .450 lift cam, definitely long tube headers, MSD 6A with factory HEI distributor, heads that flow around 210cfm intake. 4:56 GM Motive gears. That would make lots of torque and HP.

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

9. solowookie

Neil

hey when did you get back??? (another resident expert hits the boards again! [​IMG])

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

If your plans are to run 39.5's than you're going to need torque and low gears. GM's crate 350/330 isn't bad if you plan on some low gears like 4.56 or 4.88's with a non overdrive trans. The 406 mentioned is a pretty good choice also. Bottom line is you're going to need lots of torque to pull 39.5's plus 1 ton axles too. Anything less will invite breakage and at the cost of wheels to fit 1/2 tons for 39.5's plus breakage costs, you can have 1 tons and 8 bolt rims. Might as well build it correct, right from the beginning. Any 350 will have to rev into the 3000 range to build the kind of torque you need. 400+ cubes do it at a lower more comfortable RPM. Might consider a BBC. Lots of torque down low.

87 K5, 427BBC,D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM disc's,

11. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Solowookie......1 week ago... Took Gov. military dogs from Nat'l Guard unit for bomb sniffing and tracking into caves/rubble. Good to be here. Wish I could have brought home some of the AKs I saw though! I have a weak spot for my guns ya know!

Neil H. Alabama.. "It's a full size thang, Jeep owners don't understand!!" '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne., '74 C10 4x2

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Welcome home and THANKS !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

13. solowookie

yea I'd bet those would have been a really good sovenier... LOL [​IMG]

anyway, glad to see your back in one piece! you'll have to tell us what ya can sometime... anyway it is good to have you back (and just in time I tore my engine down in my other k5... LOL [​IMG] - this one's having a funding problem so I won't need your help for awhile. [​IMG])

anyway you've only got a couple hundred posts, and you're going to have to catch up with Rene (he's over 5,000 now) so you better get busy! LOL

14. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I am going to be tearing into my 400ci this summer or whenever it warms up and I have the time and $$. I am going to upgrade a little for more power but not too much since I drive it to wotk sometimes. I have a 350 4 bolt setting out back too for my 74 2wd SWB Chevy. It will be a little more hefty. It will replace a 250ci 6 cyl. We will all cry together!!hehehehe!...... Glad to serve USA!

15. solowookie

well, its good to have you back... and I with everybody else in thanking you for serving our country!

16. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Look on ebay!! there is a guy on there that has a machine shop and sells some GREAT SBC, from 300 horse to 455 HP with Dart heads from 1500.00 to 2700.00 with a carb and distributor, alll new QUALITY parts, "Not GM parts" but Manley, Pioneer etc. QUALITY and an UNLIMITED milege 1 year warrenty with these motors.......just look and I think you'll like!!! GOOD LUCK