Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Best place for Brake lines?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bross82, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I managed to fire up the 85 blazer without any real problem with starting it yesterday after it hadn't been started for about 6 months. That seems like its all set.

The problem I ran into was when I went to test it out and put it in drive. The brake pedal felt really spongy and then it went straight to the floorboard. I checked underneath and it looks like the line just above the front left tire split and one of the lines along the framerail split and was sprayin out fluid all over the ground. :eek1:

So, now I'm looking into replacing them with all new extended brake lines to match the 4" suspension lift. These were the original brake lines that split.

Does anyone know a good place to get new extended brake lines?

Are extended lines for a 4" lift to short if I decide to do a shackle flip later on?

Has anyone ever heard of russel performance or goodridge?

Russel Performance
    http://www.russellperformance.com/auto/brake/b_lines_suv-gm.shtml

Goodridge
    http://www.raceshopper.com/goodridge_brake_lines.shtml

Thanks!
    matt

2. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. Tabb

Tabb ROLL TIDE! AGAIN! GMOTM Winner

I still have my stock brake lines on mine with a 4"lift, all I did was unbolt the brake hose from the hard line, bolted a L bracket on the bottom of the frame, ran the brake line through the bracket and put the clips back on. They still have some slack in them at full droop.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We carry Crown Performance brake lines made specifically for the types of mods we do to our rigs in stock. Our front lines are 30" long and the rear drop line is 24" long. They can be used with a VERY flexy 4" lift all the way up to a stiff 10" lift.

Here is a link to a pics of ours vs. Superlifts
    http://www.blackwidowperformance.com/ourline_theirline.jpg

Here is a link to the GM page
    http://www.blackwidowperformance.com/chevy_gmc_brake_lines.html

Crown Performance makes the absolute best aftermarket brake lines out there in our opinion. Several from here have bought them and love them!

5. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Thanks.. I might just look into a set of those.

Just a few other things..

Do you recommend swapping out and installing speed bleeders while i'm at it?

is there a particular type of brake fluid that i should get?

Thanks again! :bow:

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Speed bleeders are great if you are doing it all by yourself. If you have help, they are not necessary.

I use the generic Napa brake fluid. Works just fine for me. :)

7. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

ok i think i might be confused on what i might need to order..:confused:

the lmc catalog has somethin like 8 pieces for i believe its the original kit for an 85

you mentioned the front lines are 30" and the rear 24"s....am i missing something on lines i need to get to go across the front axle and along the frame rail?

the line split just above the left front tire on the outside of the frame, and then along the inside across from the rear driveshaft. so it seems like i need more than just this

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  8. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

is there some other line i need to order besides the pair for the front and the drop line in the rear?

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  9. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

Hi, is there some other brake line i need to order for along the frame rail besides the extended lines mentioned above?

Thanks! :laugh:

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If you just need the flexible lines from the frame to the calipers to compensate for the lift, then no. All you need are the 3 extended lines. The rest should remain stock.

The lengths ours are made to pretty much ensure that you will never stress one even under full droop when wheeling.

11. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

ok, thanks. i think i was confused at first. i think its all mainly the main brake lines are what i need to replace and not so much the lines that would need to be extended. but, if i do have to go through all the trouble of replacing the main lines maybe i'll just do the extended lines now too.

for the main brake lines, do you know of any good kits for it? is the lmc 8 piece one decent?

Thanks again!